Chickens not sleeping in the coop

Beehappychickens

Hatching
May 9, 2021
Recently my chickens are sleeping on top of the coop instead of going inside? Any reason for this? The weather here has been cool and very rainy. I don’t I stand why they arent going in at night. Anyone have the same issue?

Recently my chickens are sleeping on top of the coop instead of going inside? Any reason for this? The weather here has been cool and very rainy. I don’t I stand why they arent going in at night. Anyone have the same issue?
How big is your coop? How high are your roosts? How much ventilation do you have? Are there mice or other pests? Have you checked for mites? Can you post pictures?

If your coop is in a secure run protected from arial predators, they are probably safe, just not smart enough to come in out of the rain.

If you eliminate any reasons why they wouldn't want to be in the coop, lock them in there for a week or so. That should retrain them.

Please post pictures of your coop.
It sounds like you have a pre-fab and they are always too small.

Hi, :frow welcome to BYC! How old are your chickens, how many do you have, and how big is the coop (length x width)? I'm wondering if they could have outgrown it. Had they been sleeping inside until recently? Can you think of anything that changed? Did you get more chickens, or could something have frightened them? How's the ventilation, could it be too hot for them, or too dark?

Hi, :frow welcome to BYC! How old are your chickens, how many do you have, and how big is the coop (length x width)? I'm wondering if they could have outgrown it. Had they been sleeping inside until recently? Can you think of anything that changed? Did you get more chickens, or could something have frightened them? How's the ventilation, could it be too hot for them, or too dark?
My chickens are about two months old, I have eight chickens . The coop boxes are are about 2’x2’ and all eight of them were going One box. With the door left open and the whole run is lite up with solar lights at night. Haven’t seen any evidence of predators. And it has been cold windy and rainy.

Attachments

• F9246AFB-3BF0-4F6B-AE85-A9C7D6B31817.jpeg
    F9246AFB-3BF0-4F6B-AE85-A9C7D6B31817.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 4A697E67-1273-467E-BA28-E1B685B20482.jpeg
    4A697E67-1273-467E-BA28-E1B685B20482.jpeg
    883.9 KB · Views: 10
My chickens are about two months old, I have eight chickens . The coop boxes are are about 2’x2’ and all eight of them were going One box. With the door left open and the whole run is lite up with solar lights at night. Haven’t seen any evidence of predators. And it has been cold windy and rainy.
Chickens need 4 square feet of room in the coop, and one linear foot of roost space per bird, even though they may all cram into one space.

Your birds are roosting on top of the coop because it is too small and the roosts are too low. They feel safe up high. Is there any way to enclose the "run" part of the coop in order to expand the coop, and add suitable ventilation, which is seriously lacking in prefabs?

Chickens need 4 square feet of room in the coop, and one linear foot of roost space per bird, even though they may all cram into one space.

Your birds are roosting on top of the coop because it is too small and the roosts are too low. They feel safe up high. Is there any way to enclose the "run" part of the coop in order to expand the coop, and add suitable ventilation, which is seriously lacking in prefabs?
I’m looking for a shed to attach to the run to give them more room

I’m looking for a shed to attach to the run to give them more room
That would be perfect! For now, since your run is covered, they are probably safe sleeping on the coop.

Those prefabs are great for introducing new birds during look but don't touch, broody hen home, isolation for injured birds, and yard clutter which gives both a place to play and hide, but they don't make for good year round coops for full size birds.

Yes, unfortunately your existing coop is only big enough for one bird. Good luck with your building projects! And don't feel bad, having chickens is definitely a learning process, that's what makes it so fun. My advice is to build a coop that will hold at least twice as many birds as you currently have because of something we all call chicken math. Um. Make that three times as big. 😆 Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom