Chickens not sleeping together

PoPo76

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Long Island, New York
Hello again. I have had 2 chickens for quite a while but sadly one of them died. So, left with one lonely hen I decided to get a few more. I went to the local seller and bought 3 pullets. I introduced them safely no issues with dominance or attacking. However at night the 3 new chickens take up residence in an old dog house that's in the yard instead of the coop leaving the older chicken alone. I don't mind them sleeping in the dog house but it is harder to clean and doesn't provide the protection that the coop does.

Should I remove the dog house so they don't have that option? Is the older chicken telling them not to come in there? Or should I just give them more time to acclimate? It's been just about a week since they were introduced. They're all getting along fine, roaming the yard, eating together without incident.

How old are the pullets, are they laying yet, and how big is the coop you want them all to sleep in? How is the inside of that coop laid out? The main thoughts with that are how much roost space to they have and what does that look like. Do you have enough roost space higher than the nests for them to all fit and maybe for the pullets to separate themselves from the old hen without sleeping in the nests?

it is fairly common for pullets that have not yet reached maturity to be afraid of sleeping with an older hen, even if they get along during the day. Mine are most brutal to each other as they are preparing to sleep. What you are describing is fairly common. The posible solutions I'll suggest will depend on the answers to my questions.

I am awaiting a new coop that I ordered. The current coop is a converted rabbit hutch. It's a decent size. 5'x4'. About 4' tall. It's just open space inside. There is nothing in there but the floor that I put shavings on. The door opens to a large part of my yard just for the chickens probably about 150 square feet fenced in.

Not sure of the age of the pullets but one of them layed 2 eggs but I haven't gotten any eggs from any of them for days.

I should also note that the older hen has gone from EXTREMELY quiet to freakishly vocal. She walks around almost constantly squaking. Very loudly. Prior to the intro of the new hens you wouldn't even know she was in the yard.

Last edited:
I should also note that the older hen has gone from EXTREMELY quiet to freakishly vocal.
She's upset with the change, her flock mate is gone and these intruders have arrived.
It will take time for her to acclimate.
Why no roosts in the coop?
Are there nests in coop.... or where do they lay eggs....?

Honestly I had just the 2 hens for a while without a roost and I just kind of threw shavings down and they made their own little nests and layed eggs right there on the floor. Because I never had any issues with eggs or anything I didn't think a roost was necessary. My new coop will definitely have one and nesting boxes too.

Last night they all went into the coop together without an issue. Hopefully they are starting to like each other.

**update**
I received the new coop "kit" (link below to the type). It's pretty nice some pros some cons. However using ideas based on the design of the kit coop I'm going to combine my old one and new one into luxury condo. Complete with extra roosting bars. The new coop has 3 nesting boxes.
They seem to have taken to it nicely. Slept in it last night and I even found an egg in one of the boxes!

Here is the kit coop:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/pr...4eSPHdNpOjRrzl-KPtEuxp19IobErhvQaApMYEALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom