1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens now won't use nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Weve3Chickens123, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Weve3Chickens123

Weve3Chickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I have two pullets almost 6 months old, so anticipating them starting to lay soon I placed a plastic egg in the nest box they seemed to really like, thinking it would give them an idea.Well now they won't go into the nest box. I've removed the egg, but they still seem suspicious. I guess if they are going to lay an egg , they'll do it where ever they feel like it , but I just thought it strange of them to act that way, when many folks suggested the idea.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Do you have a picture of your nesting boxes? If you post, I can tell you if there is anything you can improve to encourage them to lay in them. Most likely they will go to the boxes when they are ready to lay. If not, it will nto keep them from laying so if you find eggs anywhere else, you can work on convincing them to lay there. They like nest boxes that are dark and secluded to make them feel comfortable laying.

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    They do tend to freak out a bit when things around the coop change.

I say leave it and let them get used to it.

Good luck and enjoy the eggs.

4. Weve3Chickens123

Weve3Chickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    To NIVTUP: Yes it freaked them out the night a toad managed to get up the ladder into their coop... they both cowered in the urthest corner away until I removed it.

Bellevueomlet: I'm embarrassed to say its a rabbit hutch converted to a coop so 2/3's of it is open in the front ( I closed up the side that WAS just mesh) and 1/3 is closed off on three sides, opening to the main area with a 10'' arch, giving them about 2 square feet of privacy ( which now they will not enter!). The whole thing, however is enclosed in a 13x10 dog pen, covered across the top with poultry netting and also around the lower 2 1/2 feet to keep critters out. They fuss about that until they put them selves to bed, after which I lock them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by