chickens on strike!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fratmor, Oct 23, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    This will be my first fall with laying chickens.Right now I'm getting 4-5 eggs a day from 19 chickens. Down from 14 -18 a day .I know they need a break they are also molting at this time. I'm just wondering from someone who has done this before how long does the slow down last?I'm sure it varies for chicken to chicken just an Idea .I don't want to add artificial lighting .I feel that they need the break to recoupe. thanks
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    generally, the slow down lasts as long as the shortened days. As the days get longer again, the girls (at least my girls) start up again pretty quickly.

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Depending on your location, it can last all the way until next spring. Unless you want store bought eggs this winter, I would recommend considering adding artificial light. You are right that it's good to give them a break, but my girls have had a nice break now for about 2 weeks. Tuesday, we are putting a light in the coop on a timer & will have it come on at 4:30 a.m. That's what we did last year & had yummy eggs all winter long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by