Chickens on the Patio - Am I Crazy?

Good point about changing shoes. I'm sure anyone with a walk in coop does the same since you wouldn't want to track in any contamination through your house or into the kitchen on your shoes. I think I'll have a pair of coop shoes, something that can be disinfected easily, and just hang them up near the door. The kids will have to do the same thing with a cheap pair of Crocs.

I will get a photo and post soon. I know it's kinda hard to visualize what this will look like. I appreciate the suggestions very much. It certainly has gotten my mind thinking about chicken housing in a different direction than just the standard coop. I had always wanted the cute little coop but I'm having to change my thinking - chickens could give a flip about the looks as long as the coop meets their basic needs.

Last edited:
Well, now I am having second thoughts about the patio coop. I did a rough calculation of the amount of sand it will take to fill the patio to a depth of 4" and that's 9 cubic yards. Plus I read another BYC post on using sand and the danger of breathing silica dust (I have serious health concerns with my lungs that make me reluctant to take a chance).

Soooo, I'm back to considering smaller enclosed coops. Darn and I had a really nice list of 7 different breeds picked out. How am I going to choose which ones to eliminate now that I got myself psyched up for a chicken smorgasbord.

If anyone can give me more experience using large amounts of sand in a very large run I'd appreciate it. I would get the washed sand to start out with so maybe that makes a difference in exposure to silica dust.

Last edited:
What about instead of sand using pine bedding? You can get it in those big compact bags and it really spreads out. It would be less expensive then the sand I would think if you shopped around for the best deal. Check Wal-Mart for the compact bags and also check your local feed store. It will still be dusty, but pretty much anything you put in there will be with the chickens pecking and scratching around.
Flies will indeed be in the coop, no matter how good a poo raker you are. The fly traps that are plastic jars you add water to really seem to help.You could hang a couple of those in there. Another great product for fly control that I've just discovered is Quick Bayt spot spray. You just squirt a little on spots and the flys are drawn to it and then die as soon as they touch it. This is perfect to spray in old flower pots and sit near your patio doors to keep flies from coming in the house. You could spray some just outside your coop to draw the flies away from there too. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Lea

http://www.garden-ville.com/products/46/Kiddie-Cushion.htm

Alright - I think I have a reasonable substitute for sand that's similar to TexasLea's suggestion for pine bedding. Since the patio floor should stay fairly dry except for a 2 or 3 foot perimeter where rain might occasionally splash in or be blown in, I think I can just use this kind of bark chip for playgrounds. It's pretty small but not finely shredded. It won't be absorbent, but I'll have to change out any areas that get wet. No silica dust and it can't be too expensive.

I'm not giving up yet!

I actually asked a question about using sand and the risk of silica and all the responses said that risk is only present in confined areas and since your coop is very open I do not believe you would have a problem :) also if you use construction sand instead of playsand there will be even less silica present. plus if you buy sand by the truck load instead of individual bags it is alot cheaper..probably half the cost if not less

I actually asked a question about using sand and the risk of silica and all the responses said that risk is only present in confined areas and since your coop is very open I do not believe you would have a problem :) also if you use construction sand instead of playsand there will be even less silica present. plus if you buy sand by the truck load instead of individual bags it is alot cheaper..probably half the cost if not less

x2, I would add that misting it with water occasionally will definitely help keep dust down.

I finally went out and took some photos of the patio so everyone could either confirm that I'm truly crazy or confirm that this might just work. You be the judge - am I crazy? (My husband, children and non-chicken owning friends don't get to vote)

This is standing on the deck around the in-ground pool. Everything around here is solid limestone and the yard is sloped.

Looking from inside out to the yard and park behind my house (lovely to watch the deer in the evening, plus the grey foxes, possums, armadillos, cottontails and racoons - the last 4 of which are currently living under the same pool deck. I also have some big predator problems to deal with.)

Below is the unstained Saltillo tile floor. You can see by the green mossy color that this is a spot that gets a lot of splash from the roof overhang. 2 1/2" to 3" night before last so it has dried out quickly. The bricked-in side yard splashes a fair amount of water but at least it's never muddy.

The tin roof and the back wall of our master bedroom.

The sliding door to the living room

I finally went out and took some photos of the patio so everyone could either confirm that I'm truly crazy or confirm that this might just work. You be the judge - am I crazy? (My husband, children and non-chicken owning friends don't get to vote)

Looking from inside out to the yard and park behind my house (lovely to watch the deer in the evening, plus the grey foxes, possums, armadillos, cottontails and racoons - the last 4 of which are currently living under the same pool deck. I also have some big predator problems to deal with)

Below is the unstained Saltillo tile floor. You can see by the green mossy color that this is a spot that gets a lot of splash from the roof overhang. 2 1/2" to 3" night before last so it has dried out quickly. The bricked in side yard splashes a fair amount of water but at least it's never muddy.

The tin roof and the back wall of our master bedroom.

The sliding door to the living room

Sorry for the double post - I submitted it right about the time the site went down for maintenance and I must have thought it didn't submit the first time.

I had some of my posts double up as well! So no worries! I think your idea is just crazy enough to work (but I am by no means an expert so rely on the others here!)
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom