Chickens or Ducks

He's beautiful! It's uncanny how you replied my thread just when I think I may be having a problem with one of my chooks and am thinking whether having a rooster would resolve the issue.

Well what it is is I have 4 chooks and one of them, a Plymouth Rock cross, got injured (lame) about a month back. It took me a lot of time and effort to care for her and now she's almost fully recovered. The unfortunately thing however is she's now reasserting herself. Prior to her injury, she used to be the alpha of the flock and quite aggressive. Frequently chasing and pecking the lowest rank in the flock during feeding, and whenever she feels like it.

It's really frustrating. I can't exchange her as it's been almost 4 months since I purchased her from a local hobby farmer. I did originally had two Plymouth Rock crosses from her (from the 4 I bought) and in the first week one of them was so aggressive and was also crowing (!!) I swapped it for a Rhode Island Red cross. That's when the other (and current) Plymouth Rock took first spot.

I was working in the garden this morning and I heard a very loud distress call from the run. I didn't see what happened as I wasn't near the run but I quickly ran over to check. I didn't see any predators but I reckon she's been up to no good again. :(

Do you think having a Rooster will resolve the issue? I was originally thinking of getting a Roo in about 2 years from now as I want to breed them only when the chooks are fully mature but if the Roo will control her, I will consider getting one now.
A rooster could definitely help. He will certainly be the lead chicken and I wouldn't be surprised if her aggression died down by being a little less dominant. Also, the hens should be full mature and good to breed at about 20-40 weeks. Im hatching eggs from 60 week old chickens rn and they are doing great (I even have one possibly going broody). But yeah, my lead hen liked to show her dominance while feeding and just peck the hen next to her for no reason whatsoever. Since I got my rooster I have not seen this recently. My rooster still chases hens like 10 yards every once and awhile to show his dominance but the roosters don't need to do much to get the top spot. Good luck!

A rooster could definitely help. He will certainly be the lead chicken and I wouldn't be surprised if her aggression died down by being a little less dominant. Also, the hens should be full mature and good to breed at about 20-40 weeks. Im hatching eggs from 60 week old chickens rn and they are doing great (I even have one possibly going broody). But yeah, my lead hen liked to show her dominance while feeding and just peck the hen next to her for no reason whatsoever. Since I got my rooster I have not seen this recently. My rooster still chases hens like 10 yards every once and awhile to show his dominance but the roosters don't need to do much to get the top spot. Good luck!

Thanks for your help! I'll keep an eye out on her for a couple more weeks and then decide. :)

Back
Top Bottom