Chickens panting outside

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My chicks (7 weeks on Monday) aren't fully outside yet so I assume they are just not used to the air conditioning. Today it was 91 degrees and I only had them outside for a couple of hours because they were panting. They have shade and water. Do I need to slowly acclimate them to the heat while moving them out? Does panting mean I should bring them in?

My chicks (7 weeks on Monday) aren't fully outside yet so I assume they are just not used to the air conditioning. Today it was 91 degrees and I only had them outside for a couple of hours because they were panting. They have shade and water. Do I need to slowly acclimate them to the heat while moving them out? Does panting mean I should bring them in?
Many people put chicks outside in the day first, and only later at night. When outside is colder than inside, that makes sense (bring them in when it is coldest).

But with your temperatures, you might consider putting the chicks outside for the night, and bringing them inside for a few hours in the hottest part of the afternoon if they look stressed. That will let them spend as much time outside as possible, while still easing their transition to the hottest part of the day.

I have had my chicks out for about 4 weeks now and they are 10 weeks old (rooster is 8 weeks old) They have been doing great until this week when they (not all) have started panting. We have several waterer's out for them, also one waterer out with electrolytes, a pool with water, shade cloth many layers over the coop and run for shade is there anything else I should do?
Most of us in AZ use blocks of ice in shallow pans--the birds stand in the melted ice and drink it. Several of us use the blue bunny ice cream containers to freeze the ice, they're a nice size. I put it in a shallow plastic pan and also in a cat litter pan, just something they can drink out of and wade in. Also, wetting an area under a tree or in the shade helps a lot. I go out and turn on the hose every hour or so and they go from panting, even having their wings out, to being just fine.

I'd have had them off heat and in the coop a couple weeks ago.

Maybe you can put them out once it cools down this evening? Then they can acclimate on a cooler day?
I had them out this morning until they started panting. Its storming now and windy as all get out so cant tonight. Tomorrow, hopefully, they'll be out a lot. They're off heat but haven't moved them out yet.

I had them out this morning until they started panting. Its storming now and windy as all get out so cant tonight. Tomorrow, hopefully, they'll be out a lot. They're off heat but haven't moved them out yet.

If they've got shelter in their coop neither the rain nor the wind would be a problem for them. :)

I'm not experienced enough to make strong comments on this. I'll say that I expect panting most of the year. I will see some outstretched wings. Rooster flapping wings in front of me is seen more of Dayum, it's hot than aggression. I've not witnessed lethargy. I fully agree with acclimating chickens to the ambient temp. One thing that has worked well for me is brooding in the summer--outside in the shed. When they come off heat, they're already acclimated.

How does one acclimate to heat? I mean, if it's hot, it's hot, right?

I have chickens and quail in a single, but divided, 10x16 enclosure. It has a metal roof on it, but all four walls are nothing but corner studs, wrapped in bitty wire.

I've seen the six week old quail panting (but they try extra hard to get away from me), but the 11wk old chickens seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom