Chickens pecking on others

Chelsea1164

Chirping
Aug 22, 2020
Hi guys! I just came on here for some advice because i am unsure of what to do. My chicken in charge is horribly mean to my younger chickens. I’m well aware of the pecking order but it has gotten to the point of her drawing blood and not allowing my other chickens into the laying boxes to lay. Any advice on what I could do? Pictures of my poor girl :(

Attachments

• F2458169-DB07-4B1D-BEE5-09D68E4787E9.jpeg
    F2458169-DB07-4B1D-BEE5-09D68E4787E9.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 30
  • C562E34B-6F77-486F-891C-CCBC86A93507.jpeg
    C562E34B-6F77-486F-891C-CCBC86A93507.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 8
Separate the problem. And let them reestablish there pecking order
i have a cage that they get locked up in at night but it is attatched to their run. If they were right next to each other through the fence would that be enough space to reestablish the pecking order?

When I said reestablish the pecking order I mean like the bully being separated completely and then it comes back in like 3 days later as the newbie. Otherwise if you aren't able to do that no worries they have pecking spray online to deter all of them from pecking her if you think she can wait a few day

Tell us about your flock.
Numbers.... genders, ages of birds.
Housing...coop and run in feet by feet, along with pics.
I have 7 hens, no roosters. The oldest, the bully of the group, is 5 and the only chicken left from my original flock. I then have two others who are about 2 and my last 4 just started laying. She is picking on the youngest of the group. I don’t have exact measurements of coop rn bout i would say it’s about 20ft by 5ft and i have 5 laying boxes for the girls

I have 7 hens, no roosters. The oldest, the bully of the group, is 5 and the only chicken left from my original flock. I then have two others who are about 2 and my last 4 just started laying. She is picking on the youngest of the group. I don’t have exact measurements of coop rn bout i would say it’s about 20ft by 5ft and i have 5 laying boxes for the girls
The coop is 20x5 or the run is 20x5? Or is it a combo? If that's just the coop how big is the run?

Photos would really help. I'm assuming the space you mentioned is the run and not the coop (but if I'm wrong correct me). How much clutter do you have out there? How many feeders?

Back
Top Bottom