Chickens price?

Mar 1, 2021
my neighbor is selling his chickens, he has around 70 some chickens and had an egg laying business. Today he said he is now selling his chickens; they are mostly leghorns and some easter egger hens. I was interested in growing my flock, so I asked how much he wanted per chicken.... hes asking 25$ per hen (they are about 3-5yrs old). Is this fair or just ridiculous? I ended up buying some ornamental turkeys for 25 a piece a few weeks ago.

my neighbor is selling his chickens, he has around 70 some chickens and had an egg laying business. Today he said he is now selling his chickens; they are mostly leghorns and some easter egger hens. I was interested in growing my flock, so I asked how much he wanted per chicken.... hes asking 25$ per hen (they are about 3-5yrs old). Is this fair or just ridiculous? I ended up buying some ornamental turkeys for 25 a piece a few weeks ago.
Depending on where you live, price for an adult hen can vary. Agree though that $25 seems a bit high for an older hen that may be past its prime laying age. $15 a piece may be more reasonable.🙂

Depending on where you live, price for an adult hen can vary. Agree though that $25 seems a bit high for an older hen that may be past its prime laying age. $15 a piece may be more reasonable.🙂
Thanks so much I am going to try and talk him down to 15.. I personally still think thats a bit high but like i said i can be a bit cheap at times...

what would yall recommend for a price? I was thinking it was a bit high myself but also I can be a little cheap too. I am going to try and talk him down.
Maybe he’ll give you a deal if you’ll take several of them. You might also want to check their health status before committing to taking any and also important to quarantine them for a month before adding to your flock.🙂

Were going into winter so there is a good chance of a drastic drop off in eggs. Depending on where you live your looking at 4+ moths of feed till they start laying again. But your still looking at them laying at a reduced rate due to age.

IMO I would 100% pass as I do not see a way to get the eggs you get to pay for the feed that it will take. We only keep our egg birds about 18 months as long as we got replacements. We get them in the summer and have a good chance of them producing most of the winter. The next summer when the new chickens start laying we get over run by eggs and harvest the chickens.

I do know someone that sells eggs and they let there chickens go till the second year so they have the eggs needed for the holiday spikes.

Back
Top Bottom