Chickens price?

what would yall recommend for a price? I was thinking it was a bit high myself but also I can be a little cheap too. I am going to try and talk him down.
Tell him 5.00ea he'll say no now but after a while of not selling unwanted chickens he'll do it. Kinda like puppies as the owner gets tired the price drops quick

my neighbor is selling his chickens, he has around 70 some chickens and had an egg laying business. Today he said he is now selling his chickens; they are mostly leghorns and some easter egger hens. I was interested in growing my flock, so I asked how much he wanted per chicken.... hes asking 25$ per hen (they are about 3-5yrs old). Is this fair or just ridiculous? I ended up buying some ornamental turkeys for 25 a piece a few weeks ago.
Baby chicks are usually $3-$5. Older hens are more expensive and I think 25 isn't bad. If I were you I would buy them. I had a guy selling his hens for 40 which is way too high even though the birds were beautiful.

Here you can pick up 2 year old layer red sex links for $3 or $4.
People constantly see dollar signs and grab them up to.resell for $10 or $12. They pour feed into them and get a few eggs before giving up and selling them for a loss.
$25 is the going rate for POL pullets here.

Personally you could buy chicks for $4-$5 each, and they will lay for you in the spring. Would eat less than the full-grown hens, and they probably won’t give you eggs through the winter either. And you’d have hens in their prime laying years if you started with chicks. If you have a way to brood them, this would be much more cost-effective both for now and for eggs in the future.

hes asking 25$ per hen (they are about 3-5yrs old). Is this fair or just ridiculous?

Ridiculous.

what would yall recommend for a price?

Spent layers are worth a good pot of soup. But spent Leghorns are small and skinny so you might need two to make a good pot.

Why would anyone want to buy 3-5yo hens in the fall?

This.

I've been selling off some hens and have been carefully explaining that they are 1 and 2yos and that they're likely to molt and may not resume laying until days are lengthening instead of shortening. It's not honest to charge Point-of-Lay prices for spent layers.

The neighbor is selling them because they are nearly worn out and not laying as often.

BINGO!

my neighbor is selling his chickens, he has around 70 some chickens and had an egg laying business. Today he said he is now selling his chickens; they are mostly leghorns and some easter egger hens. I was interested in growing my flock, so I asked how much he wanted per chicken.... hes asking 25$ per hen (they are about 3-5yrs old). Is this fair or just ridiculous? I ended up buying some ornamental turkeys for 25 a piece a few weeks ago.
I would walk away from this and would wait until spring and get some day old chicks. Mostly because feed is expensive and at the age of five years they are slowing down their egg production and it won't be long and you will not get any eggs at all. I have white leghorns and I love them but these are to old.

Back
Top Bottom