Chickens & rabbits together?

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Just wondering if having a couple rabbit in the chicken run during the days with my hens will be ok. My son is starting 4H, and it would be nice if we could multi-task the very large run with have, instead of building a new area. Our main priority if the well-being of all the animals, so we will def build if its best.

Thanks,
Shannon

I have read good and bad about this subject. Giving you a boost up. Maybe type up in the right corner to look at this subject on other posts.

My bunnies free range with my bantams, they have little battles but never anything serious, usually only when they both want to eat at the same time in the same place! It has worked fine for me, even when I had them all in a run, but you need to make sure your fence is buried in the ground or those bunnies will escape pretty quickly.

Thanks for the hint to do a "search" LOL I was so occupied trying to figure out which section to put the topic in, it just went right over my head
smile.png

After reading, I've decided we will build. A lot of sucess stories, but also several not successful. I'd rather play it on the safe side so no one gets hurt.

We have 2 angora girls, 2 Netherland Dwarf girls and 6 hens with 6 peeps all together in a 7 x 7 shed, with a 10 x 30' run. Our entire backyard is also fenced, and we open the gate on the run when we are around and let everyone out to play. They all get along wonderfully-- no pecking or fighting. We have two crates of hay, one for the bunnies and the other has been taken over as a nestbox. Two more crates with bedding as other nestboxes, plus three boxes that come off the side of the house give enough hiding spaces for everyone. The bunnies will lay together and even with the chickens, it's pretty cute. Our hens are a mix: barred rock, 2 marans, 2 silkies, 1 cochin, and 1 Penedesenca. The chicks are 3 cochins, 1 maran, 1 lavender orpington and 1 splash silkie. The hens are even kind to the new chicks, which is amazing. We have several ornamental trees in the run for shade, and I trim our grapevine and toss the trimmings in for the bunnies to munch on.

We have 2 angora girls, 2 Netherland Dwarf girls and 6 hens with 6 peeps all together in a 7 x 7 shed, with a 10 x 30' run. Our entire backyard is also fenced, and we open the gate on the run when we are around and let everyone out to play. They all get along wonderfully-- no pecking or fighting. We have two crates of hay, one for the bunnies and the other has been taken over as a nestbox. Two more crates with bedding as other nestboxes, plus three boxes that come off the side of the house give enough hiding spaces for everyone. The bunnies will lay together and even with the chickens, it's pretty cute. Our hens are a mix: barred rock, 2 marans, 2 silkies, 1 cochin, and 1 Penedesenca. The chicks are 3 cochins, 1 maran, 1 lavender orpington and 1 splash silkie. The hens are even kind to the new chicks, which is amazing. We have several ornamental trees in the run for shade, and I trim our grapevine and toss the trimmings in for the bunnies to munch on.
How old are your rabbits? Mine always used to fight when they got to breeding age. They would rip fur out from each other and cause serious wounds that I had to treat at the vets.

Back
Top Bottom