Chickens repeatedly caught in automatic door!

petrel

Chats with Chickens
10 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Spotsylvania, Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Same tractor, same door, same door settings, same everything for the last 10 years. My new flock, now 12 week old pullets, insist on attempting to roost in the doorway! 5 out of 7 nights a week there are between 1 and 3 birds pinned in the automatic door.

The automatic door is slow and noisy, giving them plenty of notice. Thankfully due to its excellent design (ADOR1) they are lightly pinned and never injured. “Last Call” is activated as well, so they get a second chance to free themselves when the door opens and closes once before closing for the evening.

There is 12’ of roost space for 10 chickens. Most of them cram together in 3’ of one roost, 2 or 3 are still roosting in the shavings on the coop floor, or in the doorway!

I would appreciate any insights on behavior.

All of my older hens were rehomed. All of these ladies were raised in the same brooder, and moved to the coop at the same time. I’ll try to get a photo later. Thanks

Just picturing all those fluffy butts happily stuck in the auto door is so funny!! But I can see how frustrating this also must be... I'd probably just make the trip outdoors to gently shove the troublemakers inside, or perch them myself for a week, and see if they catch on.

Does the door open into an enclosed run? or is it free range? If it's an enclosed and safe space, I would consider turning the automatic settings of the door off and moving the chickens after dark and then manually closing it. or get a temporary plank to serve as a door so they get the picture. I have an Ador1 and am impressed it just pens them. I haven't had an experience with one getting caught yet but glad to know it won't actually hurt them.

All of my older hens were rehomed. All of these ladies were raised in the same brooder, and moved to the coop at the same time. I’ll try to get a photo later. Thanks
Ohhhhh, Sorry, I assumed there were older birds too.
Might have to forget about the auto door until they are better at getting inside and roosting at the right time.
How long have they been out in the coop?

Thanks to everyone who has tried to assist me with this problem. Attached are photos of the coop interior. The door opens into an enclosed run that is part of the tractor.

While taking the photos, I decided to remove a 25W timed red light I had installed to provide them light just to go to roost as they had transitioned away from heat lamps. I’ve done this with my last two flocks, and it never seemed to be a problem. However, after removing the light, they’ve successfully gone to roost and stayed out of the doorway two nights in a row. A new record! Fingers crossed that this was the fix...although it could just be a coincidence.

Attachments

• IMG_7329.jpeg
    IMG_7329.jpeg
    766.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7328.jpeg
    IMG_7328.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7326.jpeg
    IMG_7326.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom