Chickens Roosting All Day

rgardiner7000

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2021
Hello All,
Something weird is going on!

My chickens will not fly down from the roosting beams in my coop! They are staying up there all day until I get on a ladder and carry them down!

One of my chickens is flying down normally- I think she may be the lowest on the pecking order chicken. But the rest are staying up there. Our *alpha* hen is going through a molt, and so I thought maybe the others could be mimicing her? But it's getting ridiculous- I tried to see if maybe they would come down on their own eventually, but today they were up there until almost 1 in the afternoon!

Laying has slowed down too, but I think it's mostly because they are not getting the time to forage and eat and lay.

They like to roost high up on the beams of the coop, which is pretty tall. There are lots of ways to get down from there, but they prefer to fly down. I put soft hay down where they land to make it safer and softer for them. They've been doing fine in the coop for a long time now, flying down just fine. No changes in the coop except that I've put a fan in there to keep it cooler. It's very hot in North Carolina, but most summers are and they have been fine.

This has been going on for around 2 weeks. I didn't notice it as a problem at first, because it's been raining a lot and it seemed normal for them to be roosting during rainy mornings.

I dont understand it!
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Not that I know of. We've had hawk trouble in the past, and are on the lookout always. We have a hawk kite deterrent and all sorts of shiny things hung around that the hens have gotten used to for many months now.

There is a screen door on their porch which is super re-inforced, but it's possible that something may be bothering them at night-- not getting in -- but bothering them?

Back
Top Bottom