Chickens roosting in tree at night

usmcpilot06

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
I have two chickens that decided that they no longer want to roost at night in the coop. They roost in a weeping Birch tree right by the front porch. The tree is about 7 feet tall. As soon as it gets light out, they head back with the rest of the flock. No idea why they decided they like this tree.

What breed?.They may be getting picked on in the coop?I would recommend watching them in the coop at night and see if they are getting bullied.How much roosting space is there in the coop?

Is the weather getting warmer?
Roosting in trees is the chickens natural instinct.
You may be able to entice them out of the tree at dusk with some treat food and then herd them into the coop. You have to do this when the light is just right.
It needs to be light enough for them to feel confident about flying out of the tree and by the time you've finished giving them their treat food, dark enough for them to not feel confident about climbing back into the tree.
Yes it can be done. I get the professional tree huggers here out of the trees in the evening by this method.

I have two chickens that decided that they no longer want to roost at night in the coop. They roost in a weeping Birch tree right by the front porch. The tree is about 7 feet tall. As soon as it gets light out, they head back with the rest of the flock. No idea why they decided they like this tree.

I have the same problem here too ATM, started with one now there is 3 of them hiding in the trees! they get so high that I cant reach to pop them in the coop. I need to catch them and trim their wings as they wont come for treats I don't think.

It don't bother me if they want to roost in the tree. No, it is not getting warmer, We had below zero wind chills and it didn't stop them.

It don't bother me if they want to roost in the tree. No, it is not getting warmer, We had below zero wind chills and it didn't stop them.
That's fine. I can't help wondering what the point of the original post was then (?)
I've had chickens roosting in the trees here in the past and they've been fine.
I would like to see a picture of them in the tree.:)

It don't bother me if they want to roost in the tree.
Well, there's a good chance they will get eaten by a predator....if that bothers you, then....

There is plenty of space in the coop.
...knowing how big coop is(in feet by feet with pics),
and how many birds(with their ages and genders) would help us help you solve the issue and keep them safer.

Well, there's a good chance they will get eaten by a predator....if that bothers you, then....

and how many birds(with their ages and genders) would help us help you solve the issue and keep them safer.
coop is 12 by 12 with a 12 by 30 closed run, they free range also. I have 18, 1 year old birds.

coop is 12 by 12 with a 12 by 30 closed run, they free range also. I have 18, 1 year old birds.

Back
Top Bottom