Chickens roosting on their laying nests

coldsugarfarm

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 13, 2008
My chickens roost on the edges of their laying boxes. Having a problem with them pooping into their boxes. Any ideas how to stop this?

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear on this one. I have the same darned problem. Because of that the first three nest boxes they don't lay in - all the poo. Gets frustrating doesn't it?

Same here!
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear on this one. I have the same darned problem. Because of that the first three nest boxes they don't lay in - all the poo. Gets frustrating doesn't it?

Is your roost higher than the top of the boxes?

Mine tend to use the higher roosts for a few hours at sunset to groom and gossip and then move over to the lower roofed nesting boxes. Every flock has its own ways, I guess. I think mine enjoy the protection of a wall behind them and I find they poop at the back of the platform over the nests and then move forward to sleep. I rather like this because I can scrape over 80% of all the manure into a catch bucket in the morning.

I had this problem...this is what created the problem for me...first I was new to chickens, built my coop and I made the nest boxes leveled with the roost
36033_inside_coop.jpg

here they are a few months old...and you can see them, this is just before bedtime...so I would find poop in the nest boxes.

Then at night time I started covering up the nest boxes, which as you can see as a new dummy to chickens they were more of open shelves...so I put a roll of chicken wire on/in the nest boxes...in the day times I removed it (opened) them up...I also had to figure out the roost problem as this is what created the whole situation.

so I gathered branches from the yard..and I anchored them together and I tied them where they crossed together to make them more stable...the girls loved them...
36033_roost.jpg

This is the very first night and from now on they fight to see who will roost towards the front as that is where my ventilation runs in the coop all the way across the coop and they can also see out
36033_roosting.jpg

Behind this ventilation area is where my roost are
36033_dsc_0398.jpg

Great post 2txmedics. I'll add that if they do not move to the higher roosts on their own, you can move them after they are asleep and with as little light and commotion as possible, from the nesting boxes to the roosts where you want them. After a few nights of consistently doing this every night, they should get the message.

thanks, Im a Visual person so I try and help others that way also...
tongue.png
...you notice to the right I also had built a ladder roost...they dont use it!!!

they love there natural branches...

You can close the nest boxes off at night, close them off entirely if the chickens aren't laying yet, be sure the roost is comfortable (at least as wide as the side side of a 2x4,) and/or simply place them on the roost at dusk every night til they get the idea. Agree, roost must be higher than nest box.

Back
Top Bottom