Chickens roosting on TOP of run???

Monkeysmom5018

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Upstate NY
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Got home from work tonight and DH tells me 2 of our flock are roosting on top of the run and won't come down. Yup he's right. I can't get them down either. The run is probably 9 feet high and they're smack in the middle. Not even moving when I wave a tree branch at them. They've never been out of the run/coop at night

I'm just not sure what to do. I hate to leave them out all night. I could leave the pop door open but that leaves the other 5 vulnerable

I'm just not sure what to do. I hate to leave them out all night. I could leave the pop door open but that leaves the other 5 vulnerable
Do you have broom that you could poke them with or a ladder? If not there's not much you can do. If you don't have a top on your run I would consider getting one. Mine would not stop getting up on top of mine until I covered it.

Do you have broom that you could poke them with or a ladder? If not there's not much you can do. If you don't have a top on your run I would consider getting one. Mine would not stop getting up on top of mine until I covered it.
I tried with a giant tree branch. They didn't budge. The run is completely covered in welded wire. That's what they're on top of

Well, I wonder if you got them down?
If I couldn't disturb them enough to get them down,
I would lock the coop, leave them up there, and hope for the best.

Tonite hopefully you can be around to observe them at roosting time and dissuade them from roosting there, garden hose or squirt gun comes to mind...or poking them from underneath thru the mesh roof with that stick or a broom stick. You want to break that habit pronto.

You need to figure out why they were up there.
Is your coop big enough for the number of birds you have?
Knowing more about your flock(numbers, ages, genders)
and your coop and run(size in feet by feet and pics),
would allow us to help you figure out a solution.

IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG
I left them up there and worried all night. They were fine this morning lol. We have 2 silkies, 2 EE, 1 barred rock, 1 mottled Cochin bantam, and 1 Australorp. They're all about 16 weeks old. The coop is a too small prefab (we have a larger one in the planning stages). The Silkies tend to sleep under the coop and the other 5 roost on top of it. The run is about 13 by 13.
One of the EE and the barred rock were the ones on top of the run

It doesn't look to small for now. Just put them in The coop at night don't let them sleep out in the run either. That's what I did with mine and now they always go sleep in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom