Chickens roosting outside of coop at night

KatieRice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Shaftsbury, VT
I have altogether 10 chickens. I've had 8 of them since they were a week old, and I just traded one of their brothers for two 4 month old Lakenvelder chickens. We've had quite a few issues with their flighty-ness. We started them in quarantine and they kept escaping from the run, so we moved them closer to the other chickens and they were still escaping and going into the other coop, so now they're all together. They've been in the same coop for three days and we let them all out to free range when we get home from work. During free range time the two lakenvelders will roost inside the coop but when it's time for everyone to go to bed the two are found high in a tree. We have been leaving them out all night but I worry about them and I don't think this is good for the flock. Any ideas on keeping them in all night?

You could try putting a light on in the coop - then turn it off once they are inside.

Ct

I am having literally the same exact problem. The two pullets I introduced started jumping on the coop roof to roost in the trees, and the rest of the flock is beginning to follow!
barnie.gif
My set up includes 2 small coops from tractor supply enclosed in a chain link dog run under a redwood tree. Their chain link run gate is always open because i let them free range, but they always come to the coop area at night. I am thinking of putting something over the dog run to not allow them to reach the trees from the coop's roof. Other than that i think I will have to move them...

Hoping someone else has ideas!

Coop them all up for a week or so until they are all accustomed to the roosts and nests, then let them out and see how it goes. Make sure you have ample roosting space at different levels to accommodate the new birds that are low in the pecking order. Then, check at night to make sure they are all on a roost bar instead of roosting on various other surfaces in the coop.

Time and cooping them up should take care of it. If not, the predators will take care of it for you and problems solved.

Back
Top Bottom