Chickens Save Wild Bird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MayberrySaint, Jun 21, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would have never believed it. Last evening I was sitting in the yard, enjoying my flock when I see my lazy, slow cat chasing a wild bird across the driveway. I couldn't tell if the bird was a fledgling and couldn't fly or an injured adult, but it was running fast from the cat.
    Now up to this point, cat and chickens have led a peaceful co-existence.
    Suddenly, several of the hens nearest the chase raise a ruckus and start running straight for the bird (who is about 8 feet in front of the cat). My beta rooster is right behind them. The bird veered off into some high weeds and the hens followed it in the weeds and stood over the bird protecting it; meanwhile, the rooster cuts in between the bird and cat and starts to chase the cat. She ran under my car and the rooster just went right under after her. Following a little ruckus, the cat goes flying out the other side and the roo appears triumphant, strutting, squawking, etc. Meanwhile the hens are hovering over the bird in the weeds. I go over to see if I could lend assistance and they were not happy. The roo comes over and gets between me and the girls. It was near dusk so I watched for a little while and the pullets stayed right with the bird until it got dark. Only then did they head to the coop. I think if in the future I hatch any chicks they will defintely have protective hens around them.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Wow! That's incredible. I would have thought that after chasing off the cat the hens would have killed the bird. I guess they could tell it was only a fledgling.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great story. Glad you was able to witness the whole thing. Did you ever see what sort of bird it was? Sounds like they will be GREAT momma's and a GREAT daddy!

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Funny story!!

I had a bird in my run. Chickens chased it I thought oh no they are gonna kill it. Everytime it flew they chased it. Got in it face and went oh we don't want to eat you. Then it flew and the chase was on. Poor bird probably about had a heart attack untill I got it to fly out the door.

5. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I have cardinals that fly into the run all the time and peck at the leftover corn. The crowd doesn't seem to mind at all.
    Hum, birds of a feather....

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Chickens are amazing!
    I have one, a red sex link named Nikki-Chicken who hates it when a certain drake tries to mate with a certain duck. She hops on his back and pecks him til he gets off. Any thing else goes. Just not those two.

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    [​IMG] Chickens aren't chicken. [​IMG]

8. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    No yolk![​IMG]

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps