Chickens Scared of Snow

Kale Chips

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
Wisconsin
So I have a flock of 8 hens and it snowed about an inch or two 3-4 days ago. I was really excited to see how they would react, but to my dismay they refused to come out of the coop! I lured a single brave chicken into the run with some corn but she grabbed a kernel and bolted right back into the coop. I shoveled the snow so it is literally brown dirt in the run, but I have yet to see a single chicken go outside. Its been a few days and my coop is only big enough for 4.5 square feet per bird so they're getting a little snippy with each other. When will they venture outside? Its in the 30s and even I can go outside with just a light coat and be fine so I don't think its the cold, but its so frustrating to see them all stuck in the coop for lack of courage. I live in Wisconsin so this snow isn't going anywhere anytime soon and more is on the way I'm sure. Any ideas? Would forcing them out help or hurt?

They’ll come out after the ‘shock’ of the novelty wears off. Keeping a path shoveled when the snow gets deeper, some BOSS or other treats sprinkled around, some straw or shavings a time or two all may help. Or maybe some logs or bigger branches for them to hop on may work. I’m in Wisconsin too, near Madison

Attachments

• 80A1DEA2-FD93-405B-A52D-4172A88C12B2.jpeg
    80A1DEA2-FD93-405B-A52D-4172A88C12B2.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 12
Well, its been six days and TODAY every single chicken came out for the first time!! Yay! They sure are pathetic looking...and they aren't nearly as chattery and happy, but they are outside! And the touch of sun that shone through the clouds definitely helps. Thank you for the recommendation for hay on the ground, it definitely helped them take the leap.

Back
Top Bottom