Chickens sleeping in run

southfloridasilkies

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2022
South Florida
Hi again!

My chicks are 1-2 months old now and when we originally moved them outside into the coop/run they were very good about returning to their coop at night. However, after a few days they decided to sleep in their run. Their run is very secure and I’m not too worried about them sleeping out there other than we get some pretty hard rainstorms here. The other night I went out in the middle of the night and they were all standing in the run completely soaked while it was pouring and moved them into their coop. They go into their coop for 4-5 hours during the day because their run is completely in the sun in the afternoon and it provides a nice shady space for them. They know how to get in there and know it provides shelter. Right now, I’m moving them into the coop every evening. I’m wondering how important is it to keep putting them in every night if they are choosing to sleep in their run? If they are really bothered by the rain will they figure out to go into the coop? Thanks!

Hey! so it seems like you have a small dilemma here lol. chickens stick to a routine and once they make one it's hard to break it if it's something like this. For them there's not much logic (hence the staying out in the rain) but because it's their routine they will stick to it. To break this routine you can make a new routine where you lock them up/put them into the coop every night until you see they start doing it by themselves. It should take anywhere from a few days to weeks for them to make it a new routine.

And them sitting in the rain can actually cause respiratory issues and cold/wet related health issues, so the faster you get them to go into the coop at night the better.

Good luck!

and I don't mean anything bad when I say they are not very logic based. I love my chickens but they don't always make smart choices. For example when they decide to sit under a wood pallet table when it's raining, soaking wet, and acting all sad about it. 🤣🤣

My initial thought is there is a reason they are not going in the coop at night. Perhaps something in there they don’t like. Not enough roosts in there, or room. To hot maybe. Something that scared them out one night and they just won’t go in anymore. I‘m not sure what it could be as I’ve never had this problem. I think photos would help too.

Our run is 10x12 I believe and the coop 6x4 I think. The coop looks smaller in these photos than in real life. The coop has pine shavings for bedding, water, food, and roosting bars have been added after these were taken. We do only have silkies though and while some like to hop around on the toys we’ve added to to their run (homemade chicken tree, large roosting bars, swing) none of them have ever slept on a roost. They sleep in a giant fluff pile. If I had to guess, the run may be cooler at night. We live in South Florida and it’s very hot.
D3DA4F1B-8964-4291-9A38-85CCD84F7840.jpeg

Attachments

• DB5A7F70-6BB7-467B-B375-5E2CAC1FE7F9.jpeg
    DB5A7F70-6BB7-467B-B375-5E2CAC1FE7F9.jpeg
    975.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20657B96-F7E6-45F2-8233-94B8E9D7F011.jpeg
    20657B96-F7E6-45F2-8233-94B8E9D7F011.jpeg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 14
Silkies really can't fly, so no wonder they don't get up on roosting bars. Your set-up looks good for your climate, although consider adding a roof over at least part of the run area.
How many birds total?
And wide roof overhangs help a lot too.
How do you get around in there? And how is the hardware cloth secured? It's nice, but maybe not as safe from predators as it could be. Nice for Silkies, who won't fly up high anyway.
And these chicks don't have any adults to show them how to get to bed at night...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom