Chickens stayed in the corner and wouldn't come eat.

Katie Reed

Hatching
Apr 21, 2020
Hello, My name is Katie. I am new to the chicken life. We had 4 Chickens for about a year that stayed with friends until our home was built. We have finally gotten them all together and had added some more from another person getting rid of their chickens. There was some fighting (pecking order) going on the first few days but they all seemed better. The older chickens were more aggressive in the beginning and now it seems that has changed. I noticed the younger ones are now the ones going after the older ones. One of the older chickens wouldn't come out to eat this morning she just stood there looking super sad and another of the older seemed to be staying around her. The 4 original always stay together they seem to have a special bond. We do have a roster as well. We have no issues with him. He actually lets my kids pick him up and cuddle him. lol I am just concerned about her. I have no way of knowing what chickens are laying and not laying. We are getting about a dozen a day. We have 13 hens and 1 Rooster. I would love some insight on this because I don't know if somethings seriously wrong with our hen who is in the corner. I even tried to bring food to her and she wouldn't eat. Thank you to any advice you may have.

Is the rooster older or younger?
How old are the two group?
How long have you had them together?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

I would love some insight on this because I don't know if somethings seriously wrong with our hen who is in the corner. I even tried to bring food to her and she wouldn't eat. Thank you to any advice you may have.
You should pick her up and examine her for injuries.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Katie Reed
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1587500253018.png

Back
Top Bottom