Chickens still not roosting...using nest boxes instead!

I checked again last night and not one was the roost BUT when I get home around 2:30 in the afternoon there will be 3 or 4 on the roost just hanging out.

Yeah, I don't want poopy eggs either.

I just have weird chickens. They don't use their 200 sq ft, covered/shaded chicken run during the day either. They stay in their small coop except for when they need food/water. Now how do they expect me to get my husband to build more coops if they don't show appreciation for this one ???
wink.png

are your nest boxes removable? My chickens were roosting (and pooping) over them too. I took the boxes out over the weekend - my oldest bird is also 13 weeks & not laying yet. That night, they all roosted on the roosts. And they have each night since.

Hopefully, when I put the nests back in, the birds will be accustomed to their new roosts and use the nest boxes for laying only.

Quote:
I have some chix this same age in with some pullets/cockerals that are 5 months old. They are afraid of the great outdoors. They will learn to love the outdoors, just give them time.

Are you nest boxes higher than your roosts? That could be one reason they prefer the nest boxes for roosting. They want the highest (dominant) roost.

We are having the same issue here. Six 10 week old hens stuffed into one nest box, with my roo laying underneath. I am trying to get a picture of this to post. It's pretty funny actually. I always get that "what's the problem" look when I stack them on the 2x4 roost bars. I guess I'll have to either cover the openings, or just remove the boxes for a few weeks until they figure it out. Good information in this thread. Thanks.

Mine took a little while to figure out where to roost. They were roosting on the edge of the nesting boxes, but then one day they just decided to roost on the support beam at the top of the coop. It was not even put there as a formal roost, but they all squeeze up there.

It is a square beam (about 2" x 2"), set about a foot from the top of the metal roof, which is at a very sharp angle - as sharp as this /\\ .

Even my baby 8 weekers manage to get up there and roost quite happily with the 27 weekers (who are now all laying - last one started today).

Back
Top Bottom