Chickens Stopped Laying Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsegooroo15, Jun 21, 2010.

1. horsegooroo15

horsegooroo15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    So at the moment i have to full grown hens (all the others are still chicks). They are about one year old. When i got them, about two months ago, i was getting one or two eggs a day. Now, one of the hens just staying in the nest box all day as if she were broody, but she isnt on any eggs and i never took and from her. The other hen walks around the coop and the run and goes searching for bugs when i let them free range. She isnt laying any eggs either. I have six nesting boxes and a very large coop/run. They have free range of everywhere during the day but only one hen actually leaves. They are frizzle mixes. Does the heat affect this? it is 103-105 at the hottest everyday here, but they have plenty of food and water. I have seen her get out of the box a couple times a day, get a drink and eat a little, take a dust bath, and then get in. I am too young to drive so i spend many of my summer days at home and check many times a day for eggs so i know that they are not laying and the eggs are not being eaten. They are very healthy and alert. I have been making many treats for them to try to make them happy. I havnt had an egg from them in at least 2 wks. I have been buying don don don..... store bought eggs [​IMG] I took her out of the box and out bricks in it but now she is just doing the same this in another box.

Thanks for any help...
  2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    I've read on here that a lot of people have been having issues with their hens not laying due to the heat. I hope that is your issues and hopefully (for all of our sakes) it cools off soon. Is it winter yet [​IMG]
  3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    The one sounds like she's stopped laying due to being broody. The other one is probably stopped because of the heat. They will consume less feed, in order to keep their bodies cooler. And they'll drink lots more water. Keep them cool by offering lots of shade and fresh clean water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by