Chickens that live in desert type countries.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I often see in movies and on TV sometimes chickens that live where there is no or very little grass, I saw some in a TV serial not long ago that lived on a flat roof of a house, the story in the series was supposed to be in Syria.
What I'm getting at is their run was the roof of the house, plus like I said above I've seen lots of chickens in these type of areas where the ground is nothing but sand or gravel, no grass to be seen and I look to see if there is a coop but never see one.
How do they survive, there must be cats, dogs, hawks and eagles and what is there diet?

Most are fed by people to some extent to keep them within reach I believe. Chickens mostly eat seeds and bugs, and are more than likely supplemented by humans in some way.

Yes I can understand that, I was thinking more like when I read threads on here where people buy vitamins and varied feeds plus the treats, then treating them when they get ill etc.
when I see them in the movies or TV they seem healthy enough, probably hardened to the different conditions.

Yes I can understand that, I was thinking more like when I read threads on here where people buy vitamins and varied feeds plus the treats, then treating them when they get ill etc.
when I see them in the movies or TV they seem healthy enough, probably hardened to the different conditions.
I don't do all that extra stuff. That makes the humans feel better, not the chicken. Chickens need feed and water. That's it. They are a simple creature. Ranging birds can get most of their needs met foraging.

There are places where chickens are feral still. Mostly warm or tropical places.

Man I want to go to Hawaii or someplace overrun with feral chickens so I can catch them all and adopt them lol
And then I would catch all the feral cats and adopt them too to control the population. :p

Back
Top Bottom