Chickens Toes Turning Black. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BooeyBird, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    This is very important. 3 chickens,(silkie cockeral 6 1/2 months, cochin bantam pullet 7 1/2 months, polish pullet 6 1/2 months) have been living in a dog kennel inside for about weeks. They are let out to roam the garage area every day 2 times a day. Today, the weather has started to improve, so I put them all back out in the coop with fresh pine bedding, food, and water. As I was setting down the polish pullet, I noticed the end of her toes were turning black on one foot. So far two of them look pretty bad. This pullet has had a few health issues before: bumblefoot, dehydration, gets lethargic about once a month very badly. (i have to bring her inside for a whole day and hold her up the entire time otherwise she will fall over, one time she was very close to death). I have no idea what to do. This is NOT frostbite, because she was inside in a heated garage. What do I do to prevent her toes from falling off.. And could this kill her? I love her VERY much, and really don't want her to die.. Help please.[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the toes are turning black, they are necrotic or have dead tissue--that is from frostbite. Even being in a heated area can't prevent it. It is moisture that causes frostbite. Even with heat lamps, chickens can get frostbite. Sometimes if they get their feet wet they can't get it instantly if the air is cold enough. With chickens they must be in a coop that has no direct drafts, but that has over head ventilation to let out moisture. It needs to be dry inside. Apply Neosporin ointment to her feet, but don't rub or massage them since that can damage frostbitten skin. Her toes that are black may fall of, but she may be able to learn to walk around still. Here is some info:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842760/frost-bitten-feet

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Will there be any blood involved.. And is this an issue that could involve death?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you research the topic "frostbite or frostbitten toes" here on BYC at the top of the page, you will find a lot of threads about it. I haven't seen it, but apparently the toes can just fall off because there is no blood supply. If there is infection, I suppose it could kill, but after reading several stories about chickens living after losing toes and even a foot, she may stand a good chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by