Chickens VS. Dogs

I have the bear spray too. For dogs that are aggressive. For non aggressive dogs I use the skunk scent. I am for shooting dogs that invade the property (after other means are exhausted) but its not something I want to do in my current location due to laws about the discharge of firearms.

I do not like knowingly and publicly agreeing with HowardE because he is from Missouri. But I am agreeing so will keep this on the downlow. I have shot more than one dog and did not employ SSS. A neighbor has shot more dogs and does employ SSS. Those with dogs are more concerned about causing issue with me than the neighbor that practices SSS.

I also use hotwire and think it saves me on .22 shells and even more on time sitting out waiting for offending dog to come into range. My soil is also very difficult to dig in when it is dry. The fence operates while I work and while I sleep. Most bad dog visits occurred while I have been working or out of town.

Last edited:
You can still take the police report. Proof of your financial loss. And then the owners a bill. A decent human would have their tail between their legs and be tripping over themselves with apologies and pay the bill.

I guess this is a statement, as well as a question. Previously I have been members of 2 or 3 web sites relating to chickens and ducks, and still a member of a web site for guineas. My issue is this. On one of these web sites a member posed the question "How do you feel about the practice of killing dogs that invade your yard and kill your birds (or something similar to that.) I replied that if a neighbor was so irresponsible as to let their dog run loose and it got into my yard and killed my birds, I would do my best to kill it. Well, this caused a real ruckus. On a web site where the admins pride themselves on tolerance and be kind to other posters, no snarky comments, no abuse, etc. I was the verbally attacked and called everything but a white woman. I ended my association with those web sites. Today I want to tell you, my new friends, about an occurrence, and ask for your opinions.

In mid-November, long about 2 pm, I went out for a round and check of my flock and walked into a scene of carnage. Two of the neighbors dogs were in my fenced in yard. I have no idea how they got in, the gates were all still locked. One of the dogs had a dead bird in his mouth, so there were no mistakes or assumptions. The dogs killed my birds. When all the feathers settled, there were 22 dead birds, and two MIA that we never found: 11 chickens ( all my pullets that were 12-16 weeks old), 2 Bantam chicks, and 8 ducks. The loss of the birds was devastating, emotionally, and financially. For instance, we were getting 6-7 ducks eggs a day, now we get one. Duck eggs sell for $4 a dozen.

We called the county sheriff, who sent Animal Control out to us, and a deputy. They took possession of the one dog we caught (I didn't have my gun so couldn't shoot anything). The upshot of it is that even tho the dogs were on my posted property inside locked gates, there is nothing that can be done to the owners of said dogs, unless I want to go to the time and expense of small claims court. In Taney County, Missouri, chickens, ducks, guineas, etc. are not considered protected livestock. The deputy sheriff and the Animal Control officer both told me, in plain English, that the best thing for me to do next time this happened is, wait for it. SHOOT THE DOGS!

What is your opinion?

I'm curious about electric fencing costs. I see a lot of people saying its not expensive but I'm thinking one mans not expensive is another's no way I can afford that.
Any examples of what your set up covers and what the total cost was?
I'd have to cover over 1,000 feet.

I'm curious about electric fencing costs. I see a lot of people saying its not expensive but I'm thinking one mans not expensive is another's no way I can afford that.
Any examples of what your set up covers and what the total cost was?
I'd have to cover over 1,000 feet.
My 1 acre core cost about $300 to have an electrified perimeter setup. There is labor to keep if going and some parts (insulators) are being swapped out after 3 years. Greatest labor is associated with mowing.

The problem with all the physical interdiction efforts.....shooting, macing, BB guns, slingshots, kicking them into next week, etc. is you have to be present to win. And 9 times out of 10, the carnage has already taken place. The birds already dead.

The advantage of the E fence is it is pro-active......always on and always ready to put it to them. Once shocked like they ought to be, you can seldom get a dog to go near it again. In their mind, as close to a near death experience....without being injured or harmed in any way.......as they will ever encounter. And you didn't have to do a thing but watch the show.

Cost for a fence charger of adequate size is around $100 to $150. Then cost of the fence itself is by the linear foot. I like 4 wires on step in posts, with steel T post corners. Cost of the posts is the same with 1 wire or 7.

Biggest issues is maintenance to keep the grass and weeds down. I used to weed eat under it, but have since gone to Roundup.....about every two months or so. Crabgrass being persistent like it is. About a 2 foot wide band under the fence. I can them mow up one side and down the other to keep weeds and grass off it. And mowing is only required here from April to early Nov.........about 7 months.

BTW, I also failed to mention the E fence works on the birds too. Once shocked, they don't like to cross it either. In my current flock, I have some bandits that are flying up to and over a 4' high chain link fence...the one in the background. Fun stuff.

What they won't do is cross this........hard to believe.......but true.

hot wire.jpg

In my setting the birds routinely cross the fencing even though get a real zap once in a while. Tolerance of getting shocked I think different for chickens versus most mammals. Exception to that involves a breed with poor flight capacity confined with electrified poultry netting.

Back
Top Bottom