chickens walking weird, and other symptoms

yesterday I saw one of the chicks limping, but it is only 4 1/2 weeks old. And today some of my older birds (1 1/2 years old) are starting to walk sideways. THIS STINKS!!!! I've started to see where I can get a necropsy done. I called our local extension office for ohio state with no luck. She didn't even know what one was. She was going to give my name to the person that is charge of poultry for 4H, but I haven't heard anything back. Can anyone guide me to who to contact to get one done. I'd like to find out what I'm dealing with sooner than later
hit.gif
Will a local vet that handles birds know what to look for?

I just found this while looking for help with my hen. Hope it helps you.

"And this is a link to finding the state vet in your state. Ask them where you can have a free or low cost necropsy done if your bird dies."

http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/StateVets.aspx
Oh, how I would have loved you if this was posted earlier today, lol. But it ended well anyways. I ended up talking to a lot of wonderful people today. Lots and lots of phone calls later, I really lucked out, and the vet is coming to my house tomorrow to pick up a bird to take it in for a Necropsy at the Dept of Agriculture. So I will finally find out what this is hopefully, and know how to proceed. I'll post when I find something out.

just to update....
We had the necrosy done. They found no lesions or tumers. They said it was not Mereks, Newcastle, bird flu, and one other that I forget. Those are the things they look for in a reglitory case. So I don't know what it was. The hen that came down with it first, regained her ability to walk normaly. She has since lost it a bit. But she eats and drinks fine. You just have to make sure she can get to it.

So it's not always Mereks....that's good news, right :)

just to update....
We had the necrosy done. They found no lesions or tumers. They said it was not Mereks, Newcastle, bird flu, and one other that I forget. Those are the things they look for in a reglitory case. So I don't know what it was. The hen that came down with it first, regained her ability to walk normaly. She has since lost it a bit. But she eats and drinks fine. You just have to make sure she can get to it.

Did they send organs away for a histology report? Mareks doesn't always show lesions or tumors, unfortunately. Best wishes for your flocks recovery.
hugs.gif

just to update....

Did they find anything wrong at all?

Back
Top Bottom