chickens will not sleep on perch

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by worrall235, Sep 28, 2010.

1. worrall235

worrall235 New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    My 4 month old Gold Lace Wyandottes still sleep piled in the corner. They sit on the perch(2x4) during the day but never at night. I've tried moving them to the perch but they just return to their favorite corner. Should I put something in that corner where they sleep?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    If they were my birds I wouldn't worry about. They'll start roosting when they are ready.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Its an instinct that needs time to develop. As young chicks there instinct is to huddle under momma - so they tend to look for places under things to hide - as they get older they will perch - & you couldn't stop them if you tried!

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My girls are about the same age and for the most part they all slept in a pile up until a few nights ago. With the exception of my Welsummer. She likes to stay on the floor. But she's also a little "slow." So she may catch on one of these nights. I did block off the nesting boxes because I didn't want them sleeping in there. I also moved the roost around to a few different locations to see if that helped. But I agree, with time, they'll probably roost, if not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by