Chickens wing is bleeding

Spyderk117

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Wisconsin
Hi! I have a bantam rooster and his left wing has been bleeding all day. I went to take care of the birds this morning, and I noticed some blood in their coop. I looked around to see who it was. And I eventually found him under the coop. (He was inside before I let the birds out) My sisters and I brought him inside and I looked him over, looked like a quill was bleeding. It was recommended that I put cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding. I was gone for the afternoon and when I came home he had bled a lot more. So obviously I was wrong about where the bleeding started. I looked him over again and I think the bleeding started at the base of his wing feathers.

Anyone have any idea on what's going on?

Thanks guys.

20181129_190406.jpg
image-20181129_190215.jpg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that, given no other damage or injury to your bird, broken and bleeding quills need to be "plucked out" in order for the bleeding to stop. Otherwise, the quill just acts as a straw and slowly bleeds the bird to death.

Yes,? No?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that, given no other damage or injury to your bird, broken and bleeding quills need to be "plucked out" in order for the bleeding to stop. Otherwise, the quill just acts as a straw and slowly bleeds the bird to death.

Yes,? No?
That's what I'm thinking it may be. Just was looking for other opinions on the matter.

Thank you!

You need to fix that now or he's going to bleed out. Get someone to hold him, and sort through the feathers until you find the broken one that's bleeding. It's the fresh, not-fully-grown ones that do this, usually. Grasp it firmly near the base with needlenose pliers, brace your hand against him, and pluck it out. Apply cornstarch around the pluck site to stop the bleeding, and check for more feathers.
Newly growing feathers have lines straight down into the blood vessels. He will most likely continue to bleed until he exsanguinates, since the cornstarch didn't stop it, unless you fix it.

You can often use styptic powder on a bleeding quill. In addition, you must make sure she doesn't pick at it. I suggest using some vet wrap to secure the wing, and prevent picking. It's lost a good bit of blood, so you might want to feed it some cooked liver, or give it a little dose of baby vitamins with iron. I know iron is not recommended for chickens, however, when there is a good bit of blood loss, a little iron is actually good.

Back
Top Bottom