Chickens with bare backs and behinds, feathers not growing back. Please HELP!

I like how they say the rooster protects his girls from harm or warns them anyway. When my daughters chickens were killed by a fox their polish white crested rooster ran into their garage and hid. Guess I don't blame him. I probably would too. Just kind of funny.

Sounds like these pecking chickens need more space and toys!!! Mine free range and I’ve never had this issue. I live on less than 1/2 acre in a neighborhood and mine show no interest in leaving the yard. There are plenty of gardens and treats in different areas. Are these pecking chickens caged?

I had that problem with my girls last winter. I found out they had lice and mites. I changed the bedding to sand and no mites this year. Sand really helped. Their feathers probably won't grow back till they molt.

This may be an ignorant question, as I am new to keeping chickens, but, what is the best product to use to "dust" the chickens with?

I have used the white powdery diatomaceous earth on my chickens, food grade. I never had any problems with my chickens and bugs I put it on the ground and in their nest and basically all over the place. This is in reply to chicken hills. I ordered mine online and they send you a big 10 pound box as I remember I havent ordered it for a while and it wasn't that much money either. Just shop around online you'll find it they have different prices. But you want to make sure that you get the food grade and the white diatomaceous earth. That's just what I use.

Here's my hen with feathers missing and dusted with Diatomaceous Earth today She still pecks at the area I dont know what to do but wait I cant feature putting a saddle on her
I have to trick her to even do the dusting , kinda throw it on her while she is eating Is driving me crazy

This happened to one of mine. It was mites. I'd read on here from someone else to make a warm bath with vinegar and dawn dish soap. Put them in nice and slow, up to their neck and bath them. Keep them submerged for five minutes. Rinse them in another tub exactly the same way. They love it and it worked. I'm going to keep treating her once ever 5 days. After the first bath, I've already noticed new feathers coming out. And her little bottom isn't red, just pink. DE is a good "dust" to use and I've also heard of a pesticide called Sevin that you can get. I'm just happy that the bath idea is working for me! It kinda brings you closer! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom