Chickens with blocked nose

Marfa

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
I recently bought 3 new hens to add to the 2 hens I already had. One of the hens I already had has developed a blocked nose, is lethargic and when she breathes through her mouth I can hear a gurggling sound! I assumed it was just a cold due to stress of the newcomers/new germs bought in by the 3 new hens. But even now her symptoms have lessened, she's still not herself
sad.png
And one of the new 3 seems to be developing it as well...anything to be concerned about or any advice??

Thanks!!
tongue.png

Is the nostril blocked by hardened food? If that is the case, then you may want to try cleaning the nostrils out with peroxide and a toothpick. If it is from mucus from a respiratory disease (MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, ILT, or others,) then you need to clean them off with saline, and and get them on some antibiotics such as Tylan , oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin. Here is a link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Have you seen runny noses or any foam in the corner of their eyes? That is a very good indicator of respiratory disease.

There are various schools of thought if you find that you have respiratory problems in your flock.

1. Treat problems as they arise - using antibiotics if necessary, to treat symptoms. You won't cure the underlying disease, but you will keep your girls going. You may notice a drop in egg production, or you may not - it is very variable. This is ok if you are keeping the eggs for your own consumption, but once a chicken has been treated with antibiotics you can never sell the eggs she produces (for the rest of her life - there is no specified withdrawal period for eggs, even though there is one for meat production)

2. Keep a 'closed flock'. Never let your birds off your property - keep them until they die, and never buy any new birds to add to the flock, as they will catch the disease from the existing flock. Once your existing flock has died off naturally, you can clean everything and start again.

3. If your flock is for breeding / selling / showing etc then many people choose to cull all birds as soon as they confirm the presence of something like MG, sterilise the coop etc. and start from scratch.

Last edited:
Have you seen runny noses or any foam in the corner of their eyes?  That is a very good indicator of respiratory disease.

There are various schools of thought if you find that you have respiratory problems in your flock.

1. Treat problems as they arise - using antibiotics if necessary, to treat symptoms.  You won't cure the underlying disease, but you will keep your girls going.  You may notice a drop in egg production, or you may not - it is very variable.   This is ok if you are keeping the eggs for your own consumption, but once a chicken has been treated with antibiotics you can never sell the eggs she produces (for the rest of her life - there is no specified withdrawal period for eggs, even though there is one for meat production) 

2. Keep a 'closed flock'.  Never let your birds off your property - keep them until they die, and never buy any new birds to add to the flock, as they will catch the disease from the existing flock.  Once your existing flock has died off naturally, you can clean everything and start again.

3. If your flock is for breeding / selling / showing etc then many people choose to cull all birds as soon as they confirm the presence of something like MG, sterilise the coop etc. and start from scratch.
There is no foam in the corners of their eyes no, and the symptoms seem to get a bit better after a few days

same is
I recently bought 3 new hens to add to the 2 hens I already had. One of the hens I already had has developed a blocked nose, is lethargic and when she breathes through her mouth I can hear a gurggling sound! I assumed it was just a cold due to stress of the newcomers/new germs bought in by the 3 new hens. But even now her symptoms have lessened, she's still not herself
sad.png
And one of the new 3 seems to be developing it as well...anything to be concerned about or any advice??

Thanks!!
tongue.png
happening with my new chick baby I hope I don't hurt it with the remedies mentioned here.

Back
Top Bottom