Chickens with bones showing. Disease?

IrelandEyes

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Oklahoma
I am so very new with chickens and my neighbor gave me two white pullets. Their tail and wing feathers have bones sticking out. Is this a vitamin issue? A disease? They both lay one egg a day with no trouble and love to free range with my other chickens. Any thoughts would sure be appreciated! :)

What you are seeing are just the shafts of her strongest feathers (wing and tail feathers are the most rigid, typically). The fluffy part of the feathers have been worn off. This is generally caused by physical abrasion over time. The bird pictured above is in poor feather condition for one reason or another, was she kept in confinement? Anyhow, with care and good diet, etc, she should eventually molt (shed) those old and battered feathers for fresh new ones and will look beautiful again.

This was so helpful!!!!! I am so relieved!! Her previous owner did a terrible job with her diet and it is my understanding she was free ranging in a front yard (and slept on an old broken chevy truck LOL) but their previous owner never put out food or water. Glad I have them and I will do everything I can to get them in better health! Thanks for taking the time and passing along this wonderful information!!!! :)

Do you know how old she is? It's amazing how pretty an ugly, beat up hen can get once she has someone who cares tending to her! Depending on her age she may molt soon, or she may not until next year.

Back
Top Bottom