Chickens with Mites. HELP!

Daniel03

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2017
Hi, I am reasonably new to owning chickens and have just discovered mites amongst both my flocks. They are Red/Brown/Orange in colour (sorry hard to tell when they run and hide). Is this a bad mite to have compared to others?

There seems to be only a few on my 2 Polish Chickens (12weeks old), and only a small amount on my 6 week old mixed bantams.
But my eldest chicken, an Isa Brown hen in another flock to the others, has a lot all over her (same type).

I've applied diatomaceous earth (food grade) into the flock with my eldest one already (3 weeks ago), but she still has them. Some of the chickens don't have it at all.

Now the mites are in with my younger ones and don't want it to get any worse.
Willing to try various methods.
This afternoon I applied diatomaceous earth directly onto each individual chicken, and also put it into there bedding and feed. (Yes, its food grade)

Happy to answer questions. Just really need some help!!! (I am from NSW, Australia)
I have attached a few pics of where on my Polish Chicken they are hanging around (underside of the wings where it connects to the body). There is a mite in the photo however my photos arent turning out too good.

DE is also my go-to method... but you can buy sprays which kill Red Mite in shops. Red Mite is one of the most dangerous types of parasites as they suck blood from the chickens.

The mites will live down in any crevasse in the coop so to completely expunge them you may have to take apart your coop to spray every piece. Many people have even had to burn down their whole hen house to kill the mites, but I hope it won't come to that.

I use Ivermectin. My friend gave it to me, but I believe you can find it in the cow isle at tractor supply. You need a needle to get it out, but all you have to do is put a couple drops on your chickens skin between the wings.

It's most effective way I've ever used. The mites were gone within a couple days!

Back
Top Bottom