Chickens wont go in coop at night

Darren button

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
we got four chickens last week but they don't go in coop at night. I have read to keep them in coop from 24 hours too up to 2 weeks ! We have quite a small coop so where do i keep food and water? Any help be very helpful

They are all new to that home. You may need to put them in each night until they figure it out.
How small/what layout is your coop? I am not going to judge you on sq ft per bird. I am just trying to help out.

Small coops are problematic in a place for food and water. Can you use a PVC feeder in the corner for a lock up? How about a rabbit feeder mounted to the inside of the access door? It would only take up a few inches that way.
Be creative for a place for water too. I am sure you can get it figured out.

They are all new to that home. You may need to put them in each night until they figure it out.
How small/what layout is your coop? I am not going to judge you on sq ft per bird. I am just trying to help out.

Small coops are problematic in a place for food and water. Can you use a PVC feeder in the corner for a lock up? How about a rabbit feeder mounted to the inside of the access door? It would only take up a few inches that way.
Be creative for a place for water too. I am sure you can get it figured out.
this is the coop the run is 2 and half metre by 5 meter thanks for advice will try rabbit feeder

Attachments

• IMG_3584.JPG
    IMG_3584.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice sized run!
I think the rabbit feeder will work in your style coop.

For a water dish inside.....
That is more challenging. Are your birds still chicks? If so can you set a dish inside the nest box?
I am assuming the roost is across from the nest boxes. That would put that side as a no go for keeping water clean.

nipple waterers can be put into an old cleaned out soda bottle

Nice sized run!
I think the rabbit feeder will work in your style coop.

For a water dish inside.....
That is more challenging. Are your birds still chicks? If so can you set a dish inside the nest box?
I am assuming the roost is across from the nest boxes. That would put that side as a no go for keeping water clean.
Yes the roost is across from nest box. And they are POL but not laying yet so I guess that may work!

It won't take long for them to figure out where theory are to go at night. Just a few days really. Then you can remove the water dish and they can have the nest.

:D

They don't need to be locked up for weeks. Usually 2-3 days is enough. You would lock them in coop for that time with food & water. During that time they will fix on the coop as being their home.. Then once released they should return to coop at dusk and be locked in for the night.

They may be reluctant to return because the coop is too small for them. Chickens hate to be crowded. Sorry But I don't know metrics. Hens should have 4 sq. feet for each bird, NOT including roost space or nest boxes. More room is you experience extreme weather variations where the birds would stay inside.

Back
Top Bottom