Chickens won't go into Coop

Bukrub66

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Montgomery, Texas
Hello all, my chickens are now 2 months old. They have been in the coop for about 3 weeks. The were locked in the coop itself for 2 weeks prior to giving them access to the run. I can't for the life of me to get them to go in the coop at night. I have tried everything. I turn the lights on in the coop, I've tried turning the lights on in the run, nothing works. Their food and water is in the coop itself. They go in and out all day with out issue, but once it gets night time, they huddle in the corner of the run and I have to pick each up and put them in. What can I do to get them to do what instinct should have already done. I really want to put an automatic door on the coop eventually, but for now it seems it's not gonna happen. My coop is a 4x8 that sits atop an 8x12 run. I currently have 4 chickens.

Sometimes putting them in as long as what most people advice makes them want to go in even less because it is a prison to them. Would they be afraid of something inside?
Oh, I see. Two month old chicks might not go in because they are still babies. You have to help them for a while, they might not be able to remember where home is, or know the directions there. Hatchery or human raised babies often take longer to understand these things. I have had to help some chicks for as long as three months.

Took me about 2-3 weeks of putting them in the coop at night before they got the hang of it. Then when i introduced 2 new birds they learned from the others in 2 days. Just be patient.

Perhaps it's their age, as suggested. Mine were about 10 weeks old when I added the run to the coop. The first night, they were all huddled around the entry to the coop after dark. I picked them up and put them on their roost. The next night, half were on the roost and half on the ground. I picked those on the ground up and put them on the roost. After that, every night they all go to their roost.

Back
Top Bottom