Chickens won't go outside...

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I finished my coop a few days ago and put my young chickens in it and they seem to like it quite well, but I have opened the door to the enclosed pen and left it open during the day for a 2 days now and they come to the opening and look out, but won't go outside. I have gone into the pen and called them which usually gets them to come, but they just look out of the door and then go back inside. Is this normal? Should I be doing anything different to get them to go outside or just let them decide for themselves? I would have thought out of 42 chickens at least one would venture out and then the others would follow.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you,

This happened to us too, last year when we opened up the pen door. We had to coax them out with treats. They were scared of leaving their safe house. I would say itis normal behavior. They will come out eventually. Merry

Gosh, not mine! I'm getting ready to start keeping them outside full-time tonight... YAY! So yesterday I put them in their run and blocked the side that will be attached to the coop (part of a chicken tractor) with just a huge garden trash bag. I was pretty sure they wouldn't come out, but if they did it wouldn't be a problem as we have a secure yard.

I was cooking dinner and checking on them every few mins out the window and saw them all just wandering around the yard! It was practically impossible to get them all 4 back in... until I thought to get some bread.

Those little chicks (5 weeks) can go FAST, and fly!

when you put young chicks in the henhouse at 6wks of age or younger.they go at their own speed as far as going out in the run.you cant rush them.if they want to go out in the run they will.an they wont go out till they are ready.

Hi, i have the opposite problem my new girls were outside yesterday in rain , wind sleet and snow and no amount of coaxing would get them back in i tried every conceivable method but hey they just scratched around layed there eggs and then went in when it got dusk, couldnt believe it. Just give yours time they will eventually come out and when they do you will probably have the same mad chickens that i do either way enjoy they are great.

My chickens will not go out if there is snow on the ground. they have been in the coop for days. They are plucking each others feathers out and several have bald spots. What should I Do? Should I leave their door Open? I keep the door to the run open all day. It's cold windy and temps are below zero.

Last edited:
I leave the "chicken door" to my coop open all the time. My hens go in and out as they please. If it is extremely cold, mine will stay in the coop if I feed them there. If I feed them outside, they will come out, eat, and go back in. We had -12 last night, and they didn't come out of the coop until it was almost noon, and had warmed to 6 degrees. When it is windy, they only come out when it is over 30-some degrees.

Back
Top Bottom