chickens won't lay eggs in nest boxes

Dora362

Hatching
Sep 4, 2015
My girls are finicky they lay eggs everywhere. It is an egg hunt everyday. How can I get them to lay them in the nest boxes. They love to roam around the back yard but don't come back home to lay their eggs.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Thanks for the reply. I left them in this morning and if they could talk I am sure there would be some swear words coming from the coop. But tough love, I am sick of the egg hunt everyday!

I just went thru that with my 2 new girls. Now they lay in the nesting boxes!!
celebrate.gif
One more to go!

@7littlegirls

Congrats with the egg in the Nest! WHen hens are free roaming they probably aren't thinking about where should the eggs go? They just deposit them anywhere and everywhere! I know what you mean, its a real hassle trying to find them all! Its like the Easter egg hunt.. But not fun and games:). Keeping them locked up like the others have said is the best way.

Back
Top Bottom