Chickens won't lay in nesting boxes!

I put steps to the nesting boxes and every day blocked off places on the ground where they Kaye's but now they lay outside! They also don't roost so I want them to start since we don't want the chicks to follow that behavior!

We're having the same problem. I moved the nesting boxes to the spot they liked and they just found another spot. I might keep trying, but maybe it's okay that they're laying in the corners. My worry is what happens when they go broody and are sitting right beneath the roosting bar! Won't they get pooped on?

Thanks, responders, for the suggestions. I am a bit more than a backyarder (30 hens in the country), but my 13 young cuckoo maranses insist on laying in corners of the coop right in the straw and poop from the roost above. The australorps and rhodies never did this and still use the boxes. I will try picking up some of the straw and poop and putting it in boxes where *some* of the cuckoo maranses have laid.

I am having the same problem with my EE. She is actually burying the eggs. I literally have to dig them out of the ground with a shovel. I have 3 br that are laying and they use the nest boxes just fine. I have 8 boxes so there's no excuse. I tried putting her in the box when she was in the process of laying. She's still laying on the ground....I'll pick up the ground stuff and put it in the box. Thanks for the advise.

I have a similar problem. I have 3 pullets one that is laying daily in the same spot. The other 2 have laid 1 time each in a nesting box. I have 1 pullet that has 2 nights in a row now laid her egg from here branch in her coop. Which I have found broken right below where she sleeps. Any ideas how to stop her from doing so, she must be doing this very early in the morning for I check on them at 6:30 am.

Wish I could help but this is my first flock, and I haven't encountered that issue yet. I can say that if the eggs are still warm, they were just laid but I'm not sure if that helps with your problem. Maybe putting soft bedding underneath their roost such as sand or pine shavings. Pine shavings are relatively inexpensive. Pine needles or leaves are free.

I am having the same issue. My leghorn made a nest in my neighbors property. I was able to spot the eggs but did not want her to continue laying there. My barred rock started laying today but none of them want to use the best boxes.
I have put dries leafs, fake egg and they still won't lay in the boxes
1f614.png
My property is pretty bis, so I literally have to go egg hunting .
Any suggestions???

Back
Top Bottom