Chickens wont let me near them

Ecowtent

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
I picked up my chickens two weeks ago. They were living with little attention interaction it seems. They just now will let me sit nearby, but no touching or picking up. I bring out tricks and talk to them. Any suggestions? Its kind of a bummer that they run away!

I picked up my chickens two weeks ago. They were living with little attention interaction it seems. They just now will let me sit nearby, but no touching or picking up.  I bring out tricks and talk to them. Any suggestions? Its kind of a bummer that they run away! 

I picked up my chickens two weeks ago. They were living with little attention interaction it seems. They just now will let me sit nearby, but no touching or picking up. I bring out tricks and talk to them. Any suggestions? Its kind of a bummer that they run away!

Chickens, birds, feed off each other's fear. When I want a bird, any age, to become tame, I take it away from the flock to an area that is new to the bird, sit quietly with a beer or coffee and talk quietly. After a bit of holding the bird, when it calms down from being caught, I release it to perch on my lap. Often, the bird is so leery of its surrounding it stays on my lap. I do this for several hours, letting the chicken sit on my lap, talking quietly, and then progressing to having the bird sit on my arm. Through all this I offer favored treats.

Once you have one bird tame, include a wild one with the same routine. Progress should be faster with the second bird. Repeat as necessary. Many chickens will continue to act afraid when being caught, but once caught calm quickly. A butterfly/fish net will make capturing the birds easier.

My flock is now so tame they bring their new chicks to my feet to get feed as I take care of the flock. Some get in the feeders before I have the chance o put in feed. One hen flies to my shoulder. Tame chickens can get rather irritating at times. Are you sure you want them tame? Caring for a tame flock requires more time than a wild one. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom