Chickens won't stop squawking loudly for no apparent reason

I'm in a similar situation.
One of my hens (about 18 months old) has started squawking VERY VERY loudly mid-morning. I think it's after she lays an egg, but it goes on for 30+ minutes and its LOUD!
I wouldn't describe this as a "song" like the other girls. This is more of an alarm squawk and it quite disturbing to hear.

If I go outside, she gets distracted and runs over to me. And she stops squawking. But if I don't go outside - or if I am away from the house, so keeps going for a very long time (my neighbor told me about it)

AWK AWK AWK AWK AWK AWK - with no change to the tone or pitch.

Any ideas how to stop it?

I'm in a similar situation.
One of my hens (about 18 months old) has started squawking VERY VERY loudly mid-morning. I think it's after she lays an egg, but it goes on for 30+ minutes and its LOUD!
I wouldn't describe this as a "song" like the other girls. This is more of an alarm squawk and it quite disturbing to hear.

If I go outside, she gets distracted and runs over to me. And she stops squawking. But if I don't go outside - or if I am away from the house, so keeps going for a very long time (my neighbor told me about it)

AWK AWK AWK AWK AWK AWK - with no change to the tone or pitch.

Any ideas how to stop it?
Yes, but she won't like it much. You, neither, perhaps... There's a recipe for Noisy Chicken & Dumplings somewhere around here. :oops:

smile.png

Haha!
I am feeling a little hungry ... Noisy Chicken & Dumplings sounds delicious.

jkjk

I have a white leghorn hen who does the same thing.
Every morning for about 15-30 minutes before she lays and egg she walks all around the yard and coop screeching her head off.

Awk. Awk. Awk! Awk! AWK! AWK! AWK! AWK AAAAAWK!

Once she settles down to lay she's pretty quiet, and she doesn't do it very often other than right before she lays.
Unfortunately she usually lays around 8am, which means that she starts screaming her head off early enough to annoy the neighbors.

I'm not too worried about getting busted by the city since my coop is 100% legal, but I don't like being an annoying neighbor.

All my other girls (2 barred plymouth rocks, partridge plymouth rock, brown leghorn) are quiet, but the white leghorn is almost as loud as a rooster.
I think she's at the top of the pecking order, so that may have something to do with it.

My 2 BSL's make that crowing so loud that I have given eggs to the neighbors on each side of me to atone for my "girls" loudness. The neighbors say, it's like music from a bygone era. So, when they get a little noisy , I don't loose my cool ......to much. LOL And by the way the broodiness that one of them went thru a few weeks ago is all over and the eggs now at 2 ounces All's well. .

We had chickens where the whole flock started being loud at the same time. It wasn't a predator. It wasn't an egg song. We couldn't figure it out.

Eventually, somebody with younger ears informed us that our girls were kvetching and another flock in the neighborhood would answer back. Gripe. Gripe. Gripe. Both flocks. Drove both families mad, and we couldn't figure it out.

My bird is not young and it squawks. Its about 3 years old.So they don't quite squawking when they get older.We have had birds for 6 years now and they are so fun. But I had to separate some and put some of my girls in my basement and they are loud. I hear them outside like that but inside it sounds louder.

My hens are three years old and lately every morning they have been squawking up a storm. When I go out and they see me, they get really quiet, lol. But when I disappear, they are back at it. This morning I gave them some brown rice and they've been silent since. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom