1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKEN'S WON'T USE COOP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by supermom, Sep 10, 2008.

1. supermom

supermom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    I have built a beautiful coop: included nest boxes and roost. It is clean and well ventilated. Problem is, my stupid birds roost on the roof and I have to pick them up every night and put them in the coop so I can lock it. The coop is in an inclosed run but I feel safer with them inside. Also, what's gonna happen if they start laying eggs up there?! The eggs will roll off and land on the floor.
    GEEZ, what am I supposed to do?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Try putting them in the coop before they begin to roost at night. That way you can herd them right in the door. After a few days of this they should get the idea.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would suggest locking them up in the coop for several days, if not a week. They need to get the idea that the inside of the coop is home.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I agree with Gritsar. That's the only way they'll start to associate the inside as their night-time home.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Thre's another thread just like this posted at the same time, so look for that. All same ideas.

6. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Lock em up. When ever I bring new hens home I leave them in at least a week. They seem to figure it all out by watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by