Chickens!

MrsMack

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Hi! I became a chicken owner about 4 months ago - I've got 2 Isa browns, 2 Australorp x RIR, 2 x mixed breeds. I can honestly say I thought chicken would have been a lot easier to deal with - one has crop issues, another had feather pecking problems!

welcome-byc.gif

I am glad you joined the forum. You might want to use some blue cote on the pecking issues if it continues. Pecking can be brought on by many reasons. I am not sure which applies, They have chicken aprons to help exposed birds feather up and stay protected. Crop issues - Do your chickens have grit? Oyster shell to help move the stuff in the crop.

Chickens can be easy but we all experience issues from time to time. Post on the emergency tab and see if others can give you more specific info. There is a format to copy and paste.

Hope it works out.
Caroline

welcome-byc.gif
we really need more background to help you out. As for crop issues, what are you feeding them? Do they have grit available? As for pecking issues, did you put, new birds in with old without giving them a chance to check each other out (safely separated by wire fencing.)

What breeds are they and how old? How many hens/pullets, how many roosters? The wrong ratio of girls to boys can cause many pecking and bullying issues.

Okay.....
The crop issue: the chicken is an Isa Brown. grit is available all day. They are feed "Darling Downs Layer - complete feed" it is a blend of natural grains and seeds (cracked & whole) and pellets. It's pretty popular here in Australia. They get veggie scraps, bit of bread, I throw some weeds / grass in every now and again (maybe grass caught up could be the problem). When looking back at photos, her crop has looked big for 2months! It isn't hard, more like a water ballon.
She hasn't gone off her food and is still doing poo's. The smell associated with sour crop isn't there either. The crop isn't any smaller in the mornings. I have massaged the crop and got her to vomit but this doesn't decrease the size of the crop. Her crop gets a bit of a swing to it as well! I isolated her and gave her just water for 24hrs - no change in crop. Gave her some yoghurt with ground oats and a bit of olive oil / water the next day. Also gave her some grit and assess to plenty of water. She continues to poo. This morning, no change in crop size, and gave her some scrambled eggs with a bit of olive oil and squashed up some sardines too for protein. Will get back to you all about the rest soon...... Kids want lunch! (It's midday here!)

Mid morning I did let her out where she can access the normal feed. I figured I'd separate her tonight so I can see just how much poo she passes after having a good feed through the day. It may be the wrong thing to do, I don't know, but if she has had it for this long........

My Isa Brrown's are probably about 40 wks now. I got my australorps x RIR about two weeks after and they were a bit younger, so I'd say they are about 32 weeks. My other two are a bit of everything.....they have a bit of leghorn, RIR, RIW and australorp. I got the last two about three weeks ago. So they are probably 22 wks. There was some pecking order business going on..... And it was the Australorp x that were doing it to the new girls, nothing to savage. But it's the australorp x that are losing feathers around the neck, and I busted my other Isa brown (not the one with crop issues) pecking the feathers off the Australorp x while she just sat there, not bothered by it. So, I'm thinking maybe a protein issue? Or a bit bored, because since the last two arrived they have been confined to the run and not getting out in the afternoon for some free ranging. It's spring here so didn't think it would be a molt issue, and there aren't many feathers laying around.

So, I have six girls all up, no rooster. Also, I think Isa Browns are the same or similar to Golden Sex linked?? Or something similar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom