Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Is aggression normal in puppies? Charlie’s probably almost 4 (if not already) months old and is a little meanie. If he’s playing, and I pick him up for any reason, he’ll growl and bite me until I either yell at him or put him down. He also does this when I try to tell him “NO” or “STOP”. He just gets mad. He’s also TERRIBLE on a leash. I’m going to try a harness instead of a collar to see if anything improves. Also, he’ll bite and growl when I go to latch his collar. He’s pretty much only not a total meanie when it’s his way :/
Each dog has his/her own personalities. Some dogs can be more aggressive than others. For example, one of my dogs can be quite aggressive to certain family members who want to pick her up.
I would start by associating Charlie with the harness and giving him treats when he's near it. Then, I would lure his head in through the hole with a treat and put the harness on that way. This method has worked quite well for my dogs.

I doubt he’s actually being “aggressive” that young and more just either an over tired puppy that needs to be put down for a nap somewhere and/or he’s playing and/or he’s probably testing limits right now and seeing what he can get away with.

Brew sometimes gets crazy too, especially in the woods, and I thought he was being aggressive at first too but then I realized he just gets way too overstimulated and amped up in the woods and also tired cause we go kind of far sometimes so now we do it less often and shorter distances and when he gets crazy, I bring him in and make him nap in his crate or play pen.

But right now he’s testing so when he does that, do not let him “win” so to speak. I don’t mean be mean back or anything like that, definitely not, but don’t freak out and scream and put him down. That’s what he wants.

Keep holding him until he is calm, even if it’s just for half a second at first, and put him down then. When you put him down when he’s being crazy or stop trying to harness him or whatever, he’s learning that this works to get what he wants.

He’s not being mean or aggressive but rather a baby who is testing limits. Brew doesn’t do but I just have structure, rules, boundaries, etc. and he’s learning that’s not okay. He does also growl a lot when he plays too. That’s normal for dogs and different from other growls. But for me, Brewster only does his crazy about being held thing when he’s too tired.

He also probably needs more structure and less freedom since it seems like he’s basically allowed to just roam around and do whatever he wants all day outside? So when you try to do something with him, he’s like wait what!?!? And shocked hah not mean, just probably confused too.

Start rewarding the calm, not crazy behavior, and ignoring the rest or if you must you can say no but I would try ignoring first especially if no makes him angrier. Ignoring will work the same in learning that that behavior does not get him what he wants.

But you have to tackle this now, and possibly still involve a trainer early, before this turns into real aggression.

Well he’s in a kennel during the day. I cant leave him totally out, otherwise the neighbors dogs will... let’s just say unalive him. The outside-ness is only temporary. I tried watching some training videos today. But as soon as he learned there was treats involved at all, he was done. All he wanted to do was pretty much tackle me until he got the treat for just acting bad. Of course, he didn’t get treats. I don’t want to reward bad behavior. I’m trying to figure out if his breed is the issue. 2 out of the 3 breeds in him are hunting dogs. He gets easily distracted by anything that moves. Not to mention he’s super hard to get back. He knows his name, but doesn’t get how to come to it or something. :th

It’s been a looong time since I’ve dealt with dogs / dog training, so as always, I could be the issue. :lol:

Well he’s in a kennel during the day. I cant leave him totally out, otherwise the neighbors dogs will... let’s just say unalive him. The outside-ness is only temporary. I tried watching some training videos today. But as soon as he learned there was treats involved at all, he was done. All he wanted to do was pretty much tackle me until he got the treat for just acting bad. Of course, he didn’t get treats. I don’t want to reward bad behavior. I’m trying to figure out if his breed is the issue. 2 out of the 3 breeds in him are hunting dogs. He gets easily distracted by anything that moves. Not to mention he’s super hard to get back. He knows his name, but doesn’t get how to come to it or something. :th

It’s been a looong time since I’ve dealt with dogs / dog training, so as always, I could be the issue. :lol:
Brewster gets crazy with food too, he just loves it SO MUCH haha and will paw, chomp at me, launch, whatever LOL the key though is you just have to wait them out. He has to learn sometime so I wouldn’t just completely give up on that and not give him anything. Wait for good behavior even if it only lasts half a second lol he could be sitting or it might be that millisecond when he’s not launching at you 😂🤣 mark that with “yes” or “good” or a clicker or whatever and reward. Or maybe he makes eye contact with you or stops biting. Reward the smallest things at first then you can up your goals. They do learn really fast usually. Don’t punish or anything or talk, just ignore that bad behavior. Let them
Figure out what works. I think it makes them smarter too hahah Just sit there waiting for that millisecond of good behavior and ignore the rest LOL you might be waiting a while 😂🤣 but once you break through that, it’s easier and it’s also amazing to see the breakthrough haha

And also he’s still a baby. He shouldn’t be expected to know to come right away. All that needs to be taught. Brewster doesn’t come either yet but does follow me haha and will sometimes come 😂 but they’re babies. Put a long line on him and proof it. I wouldn’t use their name alone for recall though. It’s fine to say it and then the command but I would definitely have a command for it too like come or here. But yeah, it needs to be taught just like everything else and even dogs 1-3 years or older world sometimes don’t fully know it. Recall is one of those lifetime things. And being distracted is normal at his age too.

Back
Top Bottom