Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Guys Hess what!i decided to walk my dogs and train Falkor he listens he still pulls on walks but he sniffed around the place...when we came back I started training with him ..he is becoming as good as my girl lexy (German shepherd)

oh no you didnt GIF

Guys Hess what!i decided to walk my dogs and train Falkor he listens he still pulls on walks but he sniffed around the place...when we came back I started training with him ..he is becoming as good as my girl lexy (German shepherd)
That’s awesome! It just takes time hahah and also, when he pulls on the walks... don’t allow that either.

Stop and stand still until he stops and gives slack and/or turn around and walk the other way (depending on the dog one may work better than the other or both might). Only go forward/continue the walk the right way when he stops pulling.

You may need to stop constantly at first and barely get out of the driveway or just walk back and forth in the street over and over and over at first. But that’s okay. Because every time he pulls, it’s self rewarding. Especially if it brings him to a scent. Sometimes I’ve had dogs who walked like perfect angels mostly but then they’d pick up an interesting scent and yank me to it.

So what I do for that is I make them sit and look at me or some other trick or we just walk past it, etc. and then if they can do that, I let them go back and sniff what they wanted to sniff. So that way they don’t just get to yank me there. They have to work to earn that privilege. And if they won’t stop yanking me to it then they don’t get to go sniff it. They miss out.

They learn pretty quick that way haha especially a smart dog like a sporting breed. Food may help with some of this too but for the sniffing part, often the sniffing is a reward in and of itself. But you may need the food for the heel/loose leash part.

But it takes time. They’re usually maniacs for the first year or two and then start calming down around 2-3 years. Might be longer for a Springer 😂🤣 but by then usually even crazy dogs have manners and can contain themselves so you will get there! They learn when is acceptable to be crazy and spazzy and when isn’t.

This afternoon I'm going to go out with Finn SPECIFICALLY to teach him not to pull while walking back to our house. He's so eager to be at home that he walks like an angel, even falling into a heel without any training (walks at my side and matches my pace) (obviously i'm not keeping him there, he's allowed to move around me as long as there's a loose leash) when going AWAY from the house, but when coming back he loses his manners. It's going to take forever so that's why it merits a specific trip :lol:

Back
Top Bottom