Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

So it's not necessarily a problem with the dogs themselves.
No- there's never a problem with the dogs themselves. Poorly bred dogs can be great dogs (see: Finn) . Off standard dogs can be great dogs. "Designer" dogs can be great dogs (see: my friend's doodle who gives me hugs). The problem lies in what the poor breeding practices are doing to the dogs' health and the breeds that are being messed with.
It's about what you assume of the dogs' health and temperament, based on who breeds them. (Your assumptions may be right, but I'm not in a position to check that.)
A breeder that is breeding only dogs that pass all health clearances will have healthier dogs than a breeder who does no health clearances. A breeder that competes with their dogs in IGP, for example, is proving that their dogs are stable enough, smart enough, and have enough drive to compete in bitesports. Same with a retriever breeder who competes in obedience, or a border collie breeder that competes in agility, or a terrier breeder that competes in barn hunt, a newfoundland breeder who competes in draft, any breeder who does therapy work, etc. They are proving that their lines have what it takes to compete in that sport. With breeders who don't compete, you know nothing about the dogs- they could have the sweetest temperaments but be dumb as bricks, or be incredibly smart but also nervous wrecks.

you posted that
that is a picture taken from your post lol
1635194147397.png

What exactly IS backyard breeding? Like, I know what it is… but I feel like I need a thorough definition. Is it someone that “breeds” mixed breeds or someone that breeds a purebreed but completely not to standard and unhealthy/unethical?

Back
Top Bottom