Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

I just remembered that I've seen people teach a nose touch target to your hand, and if you see another dog coming, start playing the 'touch game' where you stick out your hand and ask her to touch, and reward when she does. Finn hasn't had reactivity issues so I haven't had to try it in that situations, but he LOVES playing the touch game in general.
Thank you! Thats one of the things I decided to try and do. Am having a bit of trouble with teaching her to “touch” , her eye sight is not great, sometimes she gets her nose close but then doesn’t actually touch my hand I end up just moving my hand slightly closer so it bumps her nose. I don’t know how easy it will be to get her to notice my hand when there is a dog:hmm. she is also getting to the point with her hearing that if she is standing in front of me she can’t hear me unless I bend down:th

Is it a problem when she is actually laying down? Or when she is getting up and down?
I don’t know, she isn’t very keen on sitting anymore I don’t know if it is because of her knees or not. she is about 13 years old. When we got her she did have a few episodes where she couldn’t use one of her back legs, she would just hold it up oddly, my mother found if you stretch it gently there would be a pop and then she was fine after, it hasn’t happened for years now*. I think it was caused by her patella moving. So I don’t really want to “force” her to sit or anything like that

*she did have a bit of a weird episode on a walk recently, but it wasn’t exactly the same

her eye sight is not great, sometimes she gets her nose close but then doesn’t actually touch my hand....she is also getting to the point with her hearing that if she is standing in front of me she can’t hear me unless I bend down

The hearing and seeing issues might be part of why she is reacting to other dogs.
She probably smells them, or sees that something is moving, but has trouble figuring out what it is or how close it is. Not knowing would make it scary, so she barks and growls in hopes it will stay away.

I don’t know, she isn’t very keen on sitting anymore I don’t know if it is because of her knees or not. she is about 13 years old.

Has she always had issues with other dogs? Or did it only start as she got older?

If her reactions are really because of her own physical problems, and those problems keep getting worse, then training might not work very well. You might think about how to keep her far enough away that other dogs don't upset her, rather than trying very hard to train her to tolerate them.

I lose track of whose dog is how old, so I hadn't realized she had these other issues going on. Now I wonder: maybe she's having trouble with her sense of taste, too. That would explain her reduced interest in the treats.

The hearing and seeing issues might be part of why she is reacting to other dogs.
She probably smells them, or sees that something is moving, but has trouble figuring out what it is or how close it is. Not knowing would make it scary, so she barks and growls in hopes it will stay away.

Has she always had issues with other dogs? Or did it only start as she got older?

If her reactions are really because of her own physical problems, and those problems keep getting worse, then training might not work very well. You might think about how to keep her far enough away that other dogs don't upset her, rather than trying very hard to train her to tolerate them.

I lose track of whose dog is how old, so I hadn't realized she had these other issues going on. Now I wonder: maybe she's having trouble with her sense of taste, too. That would explain her reduced interest in the treats.
She has all was had issues with other dogs (we got her at 5-6 years old) the pulling and barking isn’t aggressive, she just really wants to go meet the other dogs. She has all ways been fussy with treats, at home or with out doggy distraction she will eat the treats happily

The more dogs she meets on a walk the less interested in them she gets, also if there is a large group of dogs she will pick one and ignore the rest

She has all was had issues with other dogs (we got her at 5-6 years old) the pulling and barking isn’t aggressive, she just really wants to go meet the other dogs. She has all ways been fussy with treats, at home or with out doggy distraction she will eat the treats happily

The more dogs she meets on a walk the less interested in them she gets, also if there is a large group of dogs she will pick one and ignore the rest

In that case, I see why you want to keep working on it :)

That's such a good idea!!
oh wait I meant it as sort of a joke lol

but yeah, it would work great aside from that it has two chains on it instead of just one, but but I mean...

I got the skirt for my halloween costume (I'm being Cher from clueless)
1635432172224.png

I just unclipped the chain from the skirt and clipped the loops together, and then you'd be able to clip a leash through it (it would be a bit small for a leash but it would definitely fit)

Attachments

• 1635432164051.png
    1635432164051.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom