Chickie with legs bent back

PreschoolChickens

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
We have a chick that hatched on Saturday night that has it's legs both completely facing backwards, with her belly on the ground. Sunday it just looked like spraddle, so we did the bandaid, but now they are both backwards and the chick cannot stand. It doesnt seem to hurt to put them back under her. I am at a loss as to what to do to help.

Thanks

My experience so far has been some chicks born from incubators have more problems than those hatched under hens: some don't hatch and some die from strange problems including possibly what you are observing. Hard to tell not being there. Perhaps someone else has more thoughts.

i've had my share of leg problems. Peaceful is right, you do seem to have more leg problems when the chicks are hatched in an incubator. From what you are describing, it sounds fairly extreme, either a knee or hip misalignment. i would recommend euthanasia. i've tried nursing chicks with bad legs. Seems if they are going to correct they do so quickly, like fixing spraddle leg with the bandaid. i just went through a month of leg braces with a little australorp. After numerous vet visits, different braces, (lots of money), we came to the conclusion that the leg was not going to correct, and in fact the other leg was going out, too. She couldn't walk at all, and cried all the time. Made the hard decision to put her down. It was made more difficult by the fact that i had her for over a month, and she was the sweetest thing, but it just wasn't going to be a good life for her.

Anyhow, that's just one situation i've had with leg issues. i had another last year that went badly, also. Tried to keep her alive for about four months. So, i guess from my experience, if i were to come across another serious leg issue again, i would opt for putting the chick down before it has to suffer too much.

i wish you the best in whatever you decide. i know it's not an easy decision.

Last edited:
I have an Andalusian hen that has 1 twisted tendon, she eats, drinks, poops and lays just fine. Until she can not do any of those things she will live out her life here. She is actually more aggressive then some of the others, I guess that she has to be, she holds her own, I actually saw her get into it with another hen and the other back down to her.
With it having both legs twisted I do feel like it may not survive.
Good Luck. I feel for you these darn bird have become a part of my family

Back
Top Bottom