Chickies are here!!! ? about one of them...

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I got my Cuckoo Marans chicks in the mail today. The PO woke me up at 7:30 to tell me to come get them. I'll post a pic as soon as they're settled a little better.

I have one that will NOT stop peeping. It won't peck around with the others and just stands there screaming. He dunked his rear end in the water, so I thought maybe he was cold. I dried him off and have been holding him cuddled in a warm towel I took out of the dryer for about 15 minutes now. He seems to be settling down a little, but still peeping. Any ideas?

Did you dip its beak in the water? Did you show it the food? Some chicks don't catch on as fast as others and need to be shown. I always dip beaks of chicks fresh out of the hatcher or box and I pick up the food and let it fall in sprinkles to the floor of the brooder. Sometimes seeing the food move entices them to peck and then eat. Make sure your water is warm too so they don't chill.

What temp is your brooder at. When I set up a new one I had only 1 chick complaining in the whole bunch but lowered my lamp and "she" stopped. Temp was at 95 but I guess "she" wanted it warmer.
idunno.gif

I dipped all their beaks in water when I put them in the brooder and sprinkled food all over the floor. She doesn't stay near the lamp like she's cold. She's starting to settle down now...maybe she was just mad b/c her rear end was wet from falling in the water!
lol.png

Edited b/c I can't spell today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom