Chickies hatched from the Designer Egg Swap

Lucky Ducky

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Truth or Consequences,NM
I am starting this post so that those of us who hatched out chickies with eggs traded on the Designer Egg Swap thread could show off our new babies!!!
love.gif
I got eggs from gamebirdsonly and yesterday was day 21. I've got 5 babies with 1 egg still in the incubator.
ya.gif
11111_dsc02056.jpg
11111_dsc02060.jpg
11111_dsc02062.jpg
I either hatched out of a LF white egg or a light tan one. I've no idea who my mommy and daddy are but I've got 5 toes, feather legs and tufts!!
wee.gif
11111_dsc02063.jpg
I also either came from the LF white egg or light tan one. I'm clean legged and I too have tufts!!!
clap.gif
My legs are also black. I too do not know who my mommy and daddy are but I'm beautiful.
11111_dsc02063.jpg

11111_dsc02066.jpg
I hatched out of a white bantamm egg and I thimk I might be an OEGB.
celebrate.gif

11111_dsc02067.jpg
I hatched out of a dark brown LF egg and I have no idea who my parents are either. I have feathered legs. Oh well!!
lol.png

11111_dsc02070.jpg
I hatched out of the other dark brown egg and I resemble a Black Langshan chick but who knows? Not me! I have feathered legs.
yippiechickie.gif

Here are all of my beautiful baby chickies!!!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
I'm very happy with my results. Can't wait until Monday when I should get in my other swapped eggies!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I just might have to participate in that swap. Those are some cute chicks. I have been hatching out my own designer chicks. I too got a five toed feathered foot chick
smile.png

I have chicks drying in the hatcher right now from eggs from the designer egg chain, so as soon as they're nice, fluffy, and standing without wobbling about I'll have pictures to post.
big_smile.png

You hatched out some cuties! I love those little feathered feet.
love.gif

I've edited this post to add updated pictures of the chicks, in case people like to see how they grow up to look. They're in that awkward teenage stage now
smile.png

These chicks are from siz8003 from the designer egg chain, found here --> https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129427&p=1
I haven't hatched out large fowl in a while . . . I forgot how big the chicks were!

In the order they hatched:

This one hatched out long before the others. As of now it's my favorite, color-wise. The red on its chest is so . . . red! The color is fabulous.
DSC_2038.jpg
DSC_5430.jpg

This one is HUGE compared to the others, and his head is completely smooth where the others seem to have single combs. He still is huge, almost twice the size of everyone else. I'm fairly sure he's a roo.
DSC_2042.jpg
DSC_5437.jpg

My favorite.
smile.png
I love the dark chocolate brown coloring, which isn't showing up well in the photos, and I'm dying to know what it will grow up to look like. Its chocolate brown coloring gave way to other colors pretty quickly, but it's still my favorite, personality-wise. It's always first in the charge to see what I'm up to.
DSC_2051.jpg
DSC_5428.jpg

My SO's favorite. It kept falling asleep while I was trying to take its picture. As of today I still have trouble taking pictures of this one! Between falling asleep and turning his back to me, I don't think I'll ever get a decent picture of him. He's actually a much darker looking blue than what shows up in this picture.
DSC_2031.jpg
DSC_5446.jpg

Cute little booger. I love how the yellow fuzz on his chest turned into golden feathers.
smile.png

DSC_2044.jpg
DSC_5439.jpg

The fluffiest. I can't seem to quit holding it, there's just so much fluff. I adore this one, and I'm trying to hide the very depressing suspicion that it will turn into a roo. Here's to eternal hope.
DSC_2047.jpg
DSC_5445.jpg

This last one came from a slightly odd egg. I was concerned about this egg from day 1, because when I candled the eggs looking for hairline cracks or things of that nature I could not see anything through the shell; it was way too thick. When the eggs started pipping I checked the egg for any sounds, and I could hear a chick cheeping and working away inside. I kept a close eye on it, checking for noises every hour. The other eggs had long since hatched, and this guy's egg didn't even have the beginnings of a chip in it when I could hear the chick inside was getting too weak to go on against that deadly thick shell. I estimated where the beak would most likely be and took sharp tweezers and scraped at the shell until I had made a hole, then I took off a bit more shell until I found his little beak. I put the egg on a slightly moist paper towel back in the hatcher and just let him breathe a while, and over the course of a couple of hours I slowly zipped the egg for him until he was able to shove his own way out. He's perfectly developed with not a thing wrong with him, it's just that his egg shell was abnormally thick and he didn't stand a chance against it. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have bothered incubating the egg at all, but since these were shipped eggs I didn't want to toss out a single egg if I could help it. I'm glad I didn't . . . this little guy is just too adorable. He's wound up looking very much like a buff brahma, hasn't he?
DSC_2036.jpg
DSC_5434.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some updated pics of my babies. They're in the same order as before. They are 3 1/2 weeks old.
11111_dsc02144.jpg

I don't look to have tufts anymore but I've got HUGE feet. I'm pretty positive that this one is a Roo. His wattles are coming in fast and they are pretty red.
11111_dsc02147.jpg

I don't seem to have tufts either. I'm suspected of being a pullet. But I'm not telling!
11111_dsc02148.jpg

OEGB, I think not. I've got green legs and I'm getting too big to be a game banty. I'm thinking EE, even though I arrived out of a brown egg, it happens!
11111_dsc02146.jpg

Well, I'm blue but other than that IDK!
11111_dsc02145.jpg

I'm probably a Roo too!

They sure change fast!!!
love.gif
My babies are growing up. Gamebirdsonly, if you see this what do you have that is blue? I'm curious about #4.

Five toes, could be Dorking, (I know there's at lest one other breed with 5 toes, I don't remember what. Langshan?) the feathering on the outside of the leg, rather than all over the leg, could be Brahma. (Are there others with feathering just on the outside of the leg? IDK.) Nice possible combo! Beautiful chicks, I'll have to look up that designer chick thread!

Last edited:
I'm on day 20 with my eggs from warmfuzzies. She sent 8, only 3 developed and 1 quit around day 16 or 17. So I had two eggs left, One has hatched already and is laying in the incubator resting. Soon now we're just waiting on the last one. She has a Standard Cochin Roo over Standard Cochin and Partridge Rock Hens Because of the light brown color of both of these eggs, I believe I've got purebred Cochin babies(when the other hatches)!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
I will post pictures after waiting on the other one to hatch. My incubator only has 2 smaller windows and baby is noooo where near either one. I could see that it is black and feather legged though.
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

I hatched these two from justhatchin, and I'm thrilled because the PO was brutal on that shipment. They both hatched on Easter. The one on the left hatched out of an egg I patched up with candle wax, which I thought was neat since it was my first time trying that technique, and I learned about it right here on BYC.
big_smile.png

CSC_4168.jpg

The picture doesn't show it, but the right one has the fluffiest little cheeks. They seem to poof out a mile from his face.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom