Chickies with the sniffles....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CTChickenMom, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    My 2 week old chicks have the sniffles. I was hoping to buy the VetRx but no one around me has any in stock (Agway, TSC). Our TSC isn't even stocking it anymore. Agway won't have it until Tuesday. Is there another remedy I can use that is more readily available? It figures with the holiday weekend that this happens!

Can I use a Vicks plug in to give them some relief (maybe the kids version)? I looked into ordering it from Jeffers Livestock and they can't get it to me before Agway will have it. I'm kicking myself now, saw it at both stores and told myself I'd get it only if I needed it and now when I need it, no one has it. Is there anything else I can offer them?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Did you observe the onset to be sudden and uniform (all of them all at once)?
    Intermittent or constant?
    Any other signs (decreased activity level/appetite)?

Conditions that are not a direct consequence of disease would include low brooder/floor temp, excess humidity, excess ammonia, drafts.

http://www.veterinaria.uchile.cl/publicacion/congresoxi/prafesional/aves/8.doc (commercial chick info. but might be helpful - is also available as an html document).

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jeffers Pets has Vet RX

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I would not use the Vicks. I know many human treatments are deadly to chickens, and they have very sensitive lungs. Even cedar shavings can kill them, so Vicks might be a bad idea.

Is the brooder cleaned every day? Are they on medicated chick starter? Are you using pine shavings, and if so, are they dusty? Sometimes it's just sneezing from environmental factors.

5. CTChickenMom

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I did check with Jeffers but they weren't going to be able to get it to me for 3 days and with the holiday it likely would have taken longer. I googled for the Agways in the area and started calling them. By the 3rd or 4th call I found one about 12 miles away that had the VetRx.

I have paper towels down in the brooder and it gets changed 2x daily, 3 if necessary. I put a little 6" by 12" box with top soil in it for them to dig and dust in, maybe they are creating their own dust from this. I'd hate to take it out, they all use it.

The sneezing is not consistent and their activity levels are staying high and they eat voraciously. I guess its not something to worry about yet.

They love to scratch everywhere, I was wondering if I should use some pine shavings to give them more to scratch in. Should I be worried about 2 weeks olds eating the shavings?

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Mine ate them, so I had to remove the shavings and use paper towels.

If the sneezing is not consistent, and you don't notice a bad smell coming from their mouths, and there is no mucous or discharge, I think you are probably ok.

Good Luck!

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Mine have started eating the paper towels.....The container is too slippery without them though so i'm not sure what to do. I might try shavings but they will probably eat that too. They have plenty of food in there.

8. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Try some pelletted pine, it is not as dusty as the shavings and the pellets are big enough that they should not be able to eat it.

9. CTChickenMom

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I switched over to the pine when the girls were 2 1/2 weeks old and they don't eat it but they do love scattering it all over the floor. I hope it warms up soon! They are getting so big already that I'm afraid the 14 of them will out grown the brooder!

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I personally prefer Oxine (chlorine hydroxide) over the Vet Rx. (There is really no comparison.) You may Google Shagbark Bantams for more information on this. It is similar to bleach, and was used to clean up after the anthrax mail issues. It is extremely effective on bacteria, viruses and protozoa. On her website, Ms. Theodore discusses its uses and also the dosage. For coop misting I use 1.625 oz. per quart of water, up to three times a day when respiratory issues arise.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm

If you are interested, you may find Oxine at First State Veterinary Supply, another site I strongly suggest browsing and saving.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/

I feel strongly enough about this as a preventive tool that I really recommend all poultry folk keeping it in their med cabinets. Hope that information helps. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by